Musical Fidelity A3 CDP VS Copland CDA 823; Ole Möller genius

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by speedy.steve, Mar 3, 2006.

1. speedy.steve

speedy.steve

Got to listen to the Copland CDP :). No MF A5 to hear though:(

Took my A3 CDP along as back to back comparison.
    They did not have the loverly Copland Integrated Valve amp (uses KT88's like my amp) unfortunately to use.

I started with my CDP, the Copland hybrid (tube input stage, transistor power stage) and a pair of Sonar something or others (cost ~£2600)

Pretty harsh sounding and it brought out all the worse in the MF.
    On to the Copland CDP - def smoother and more detail.

Then I spotted a Krell amp in the room ~£3K+'s worth. Got them to connect that up - much more authorititive and like my valve amp than the little Copland amp . It drove the speakers better and I could start comparing more easily as the music was brought to me in a more recognisable form.
    Makes you realise how good the Son of Heffa amp I have is!!!
    The Krell was ok but could not match SoH - no way.

Back to CDP's then.
    The Copland is amazingly clear, transparent, open with exceptional detail, dynamics and instrument positioning. I took along many CD's to test various things. The harsh toppy ones were much more under control than on my MF.
    The MF is good at engaging you and some bands sound like they are in the room but it comes at a cost.

The Copland is a little more clinical (those Scandinavian's eh?!). That said it brought some tracks alive as music (not a slightly painful mess in the top frequencies) and the order it brings is great. It is like a rock - nothing seems to phase it.
    Yes, the transport is noisy when you open and close it and it takes a while to find CD's - found them all though, inc. my legal compliations.

I need to hear it with my amp and my speakers and a pint of :guiness:

It is the best CDP I've heard - including a pals older Copland.

So, what next? Bother finding Vincent, Shanling (no, that won't fit my rack) or what? Wadia? Too expensive for what it is?

All roads seem to lead back to the Copland. Somehow I doubt
    the others in this price range will be as good.

Perhaps Copland is just meant for me. Ole Möller pure genius.

speedy.steve, Mar 3, 2006
  2. speedy.steve

greg Its a G thing

What about the Esound E5 CDP? Seems well worth a punt from what I've read and strong resale value if you dont like.

greg, Mar 3, 2006
  3. speedy.steve

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

Yes, if you're auditioning Chinese CD players, then the Eastsound CD-E5 deserves a look-in, along with the Cayin CD-17 and Jungson Magic Boat 2.

DT

Dynamic Turtle, Mar 3, 2006
  4. speedy.steve

speedy.steve

Other possibles are top range Marantz (my pal Steve's rec.) or Premiere (ProAc used at the Bristol show).
    I can't find anything on the Premiere - need to look more into that.

speedy.steve, Mar 4, 2006
Ask a Question