Musical Fidelity Speakers MC2 & MC4

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by lawrence2357, May 5, 2006.

1. lawrence2357

anon_bb Honey Badger

The mc6s were only in the new range - they werent any good. You may have heard the new mc2s - which werent very good either.

The original mc2s were my very first speaker. I passed them to my bro who upgraded to mc4s which put back the bass that was lacking.

anon_bb, May 8, 2006
  2. lawrence2357

keithht

Wrong!!!

The MC6's are superb speakers, they need a large room. I am always surprised by the number of people who have heard these units as very few were made or sold, Including the expert on one forum or other who mentioned the upward facing drivers reducing the image depth, none of the MC6's units faced upwards that was the MC5's. One of the MC6s' abilities is to produce a believable image, my two main criticisms of the units is a rather sweet take on any material you play through them and probably linked to this is a bias against heavy rock music and for classical and jazz otherwise thay are very good and as long as you have a reasonable sized room most people would be impressed with what they heard. Incidentally it might be interesting to hear them driven by a 10-15 watt valve amp as they are 92db/watt efficient.

keithht, Aug 7, 2008
  3. lawrence2357

[email protected].

I have hooked up in the same room Celestion 66 studio monitors driven by Quad 34-405/2......and Musical fidelity MC6 driven by Musical fidelity pre and a Leak 20 valve power amp the 66s get little use to say the M/F MC6s are no good is behond my understanding

[email protected]., Mar 2, 2009
  4. lawrence2357

lawrence2357

Just noticed some MC6s on ebay and realised you had responded to my thread ages ago. Do you mean what you said about the Elektra and A series? ;)

lawrence2357, Oct 28, 2009
  5. lawrence2357

Dulwich Dulwich

MC2s

I still have my MC2s running alongside MFA1 amp. The speakers work well with this amp, but contributers are right about the brightness - had to tame it with smooth sounding speaker cable. I think my speakers are the first version. The front of the speaker doesn't have any blue lettering on at all. After twenty years of service, I'm going to retire them for something new. Anyone got any good suggestions for efficient bookshelf speakers that are happy placed close to a wall? Budget £1k.

Dulwich, Dec 31, 2009
  6. lawrence2357

zanash

I had a a100 back in the day ...

watch out as it can get very hot ...some have self destructed ...

great sounding amp though ..

It may need a recapping due to the excessive heat dryng them out ...

zanash, Jan 1, 2010
  7. lawrence2357

Rana

Back in the 1980's I had an MF A1 connected to an MF MC2 with MF solid core cables (the latter were a rather attention seeking light blue colour). It was all pleasant sounding, but so dull from a music-making viewpoint. A pair of ancient Quad IIs rescued from the depths of Five Ways Hi-Fi for next to nothing soon woke up the system...and soon I was into valves (Concordants) and horns (Lowthers) loving my music again!

Rana, Jan 1, 2010
  8. lawrence2357

RobHolt Moderator

On the back of what Pete has said above, if you do recap these amplifiers ensure that long life 105 deg rated caps are used.

Loved the look of 80s MF kit though the build could be a bit iffy.
    The designs are sound though with many of them designed by Tim de Paravicini.

RobHolt, Jan 2, 2010
  9. lawrence2357

Rana

Strange experience tonight. I have stupidly sold my Inca Talon amp to the same person who bought my Katana CD player who has been coveting it, and my replacement amp has not turned up (I am worried about this seller....but that's another story). Thus, I dug out from my freezing garage my brother-in-law's decrepit and dusty B200 amp for some temporary sounds. Wow! After warming & cleaning it up it sounded fabulous into my Shanny Arcs. Cannot believe it - it did things that my A1 would never have done even given the mists of time on my memory. Wondering now if I had a "Friday-build" A1 then. Cannot complain, I worked for Rover in Longbridge at the time....

Rana, Jan 22, 2010
  10. lawrence2357

Mr_Sukebe

So it was your rotten sandwich that I found under the carpet of my 200 then?

Mr_Sukebe, Jan 22, 2010
  11. lawrence2357

Rana

Can I have it back?

Rana, Jan 22, 2010
  12. lawrence2357

justinhi

i had the mk1 mc4 love them to bits but I now have meridian.. ..when i have a second room hifi it will be retro a100 amp and mc4 mk1 s yummy

justinhi, Feb 13, 2010
Ask a Question