My dog ate my Naim- new cables needed- ATTN Mogami cognescenti!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by bec143, Mar 6, 2006.

1. bec143

bec143

I also posted this on Pinkfish, apologize it it's a repeat for you

My new puppy chewed right through one of my runs of NACA5. Very surprised to see how many strands of copper are really in there.

I had recently posted about whether to keep the NACA 5 in my system now that I no longer have Naim amps, and had decided to keep it. Looks like I'm going to need some new wire between my YBA amp and Audio Physic Virgos. Unfortunatel I need a 12 foot run, so it needs to be pretty cheap. I am interested in all the Mogami threads, but seems tough logistically, anyone no how to go about this in the US. I'm leaning to Kimber 8TC, although some Nordost cables through Audiogon are in the same price range. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Bruce

bec143, Mar 6, 2006
  2. bec143

oedipus

oedipus, Mar 6, 2006
  3. bec143

KUB3 ciao

Buy a reel of mogami, then eveyone that supposedly want some will magically dissapear.

KUB3, Mar 6, 2006
  4. bec143

bec143

Oedipus,

Interesting- do you use one of these cables? really cheap and ready to go!

Bruce

bec143, Mar 7, 2006
  5. bec143

bec143

I founf a great site in the US for Mogami, but they sell a cable called 3103, which is two-stranded, wheresd most of the English fora folks seem to prefer the 2972, which is 4 stranded. Any reason why?

bec143, Mar 7, 2006
  6. bec143

oedipus

For passive speakers, I have a pair of Bryston amp packs (which sit close behind the speaker) and I use three ft of 10 gauge cable that came from Orchard Supply Hardware. With such short lengths it hardly matters what I use.

The Canare 4S11 cable was recommended by Joel (IIRC) over on PFM. The Belden is undoubtedly as good.

I really can't get excited about wire:)

If you are still fiddling with Speaker Cable, then you either need to upgrade to the ultimate passive speaker (Quad ESL), or get yourself some active speakers:) [Avoid Linn/naim's hopeless and woefully expensive active speakers though..]

oedipus, Mar 7, 2006
  7. bec143

bec143

If you are still fiddling with Speaker Cable, then you either need to upgrade to the ultimate passive speaker (Quad ESL), or get yourself some active speakers:) [Avoid Linn/naim's hopeless and woefully expensive active speakers though..][/QUOTE]

NO fiddling, just don't have any now, and it's a chance to pick something new

bec143, Mar 7, 2006
  8. bec143

jtc

See post on PF forum, but basically, I too have Audio Physic speakers and would strongly recommend the SPeltz AntiCables, which are discreet, strong, cheap and far better than the Nordost cables I once owned (Red Dawn and finally SPM):

www.anticables.com

jtc, Mar 7, 2006
  9. bec143

bec143

anticables

I have seen those about, but you are the first I have heard that uses them. I do like their unobtrusive appearance.

Bruce

bec143, Mar 7, 2006
  10. bec143

bec143

Hey JTC

The only problem I see with the anticables is this lecture from the guy that they shouldn't touch anything, and the comments from users that they have them suspended in the air! Do you do this.

I'm also a little paranoid about twisting them with that coating. My amp is suppsed to be pretty sensitive to shorting, although he says that the red coating is good enough.

Bruce

bec143, Mar 7, 2006
  11. bec143

Jose Garcia

The Anti-cables looks interesting and the post at Audiogon and other forums are far more interesting.

Bec123 you are right about your concerns since this are basically magnet wires covered with a thin enamel, althought is said to be strong enough to resist high temperatures and some abuse.

I will be making a set of DIY Anti-cables with magnet wire soon. I'm considering another set running inside Teflon tubing from a hardware store...just in case :D

[​IMG]

Jose.

Jose Garcia, Sep 14, 2006
  12. bec143

zanash

Mogami is not great ............. and over a long run ?

there are a number of alternative to get you a mogami beater ....

these are as jose says mainly DIY but if your interested pm me

zanash, Sep 14, 2006
  13. bec143

DavidY80 Long Member

I think that's a matter of opinion Pete.

I'm very happy with Mogami. I'm not sure what you call a long run, but I'm currently using runs in excess of 8m with no problems.

It's reasonably priced and easy to handle, unlike some others.

DavidY80, Sep 14, 2006
  14. bec143

zanash

Yep ...entirely a matter of opinion.

Don't get me wrong the mogami is not a bad cable ....its just not as good as some...but as you say its reasonably priced and easy to handle.

zanash, Sep 14, 2006
  15. bec143

RobHolt Moderator

Supra Rondo is also excellent and cheap. It is a semi pro cable designed for stage use and very tough. Nothing fancy, just good quality materials and lots of metal for the money. About £5m IIRC.

RobHolt, Sep 14, 2006
Ask a Question