My Rega P5 dem

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by michaelab, Dec 29, 2004.

1. michaelab

Dexter

Michael-

I seem to recall the last P9 I saw there going for only about 1400 EURO, so you never know...he might be happy to have someone who could collect it rather than have to ship it. :)

Do you have a few TTs to listen to while you're in the UK?

Best, Dex

Dexter, Jan 6, 2005
  2. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Unfortunately not but then I really don't have any time to do so. The weekend is really the only option and that's already pretty much taken up with other things.

Michael.

michaelab, Jan 6, 2005
  3. michaelab

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Michael - sorry for the hijack (about time you got a TT though!)...

Dex - any idea if the Heed Audio Orbit 2 is better than a Moth Flutterbuster? I have the latter on my Planar 3 (with motor upgrade/RB300 arm)? I'm toying with the idea of one day (ie, no rush) getting the Orbit 2 - if it's far better than the Moth, I could then move the Moth onto my NAD533 (Rega P2 clone) in my bedroom...

domfjbrown, Jan 6, 2005
  4. michaelab

Dexter

Hi Dom,

I suspect this thread got hijacked long before you joined the party! :D

I'm sorry, I don't have any direct experience with the Moth Flutterbuster so I have no real basis for comparison. I did find a picture of the Flutterbuster's insides and it looks as though it does not have a significant transformer to boost power reserves like the Orbit does. In fact, the Orbit contains 2 transformers to amplify the quartz-locked frequency signal and provide ample filtered power to the motor.

It's great that you already have the motor upgrade. The Orbit made a tremendous difference to my Planar 3 as well as the P25 I was demoing before I settled on my Xerxes. You can read my initial impressions, including thoughts on its build quality here.

And should you eventually move up to a P25 (I'm starting to notice more 2nd-hand ones now that the new Regas are available), the Orbit will take it pretty darn close to the new P7! Good luck! :)

Best, Dex

Dexter, Jan 6, 2005
  5. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

I just had quite a long chat with the seller of the P9 on eBay. He's looking for considerably more than 1600 Euros so I'm not going to go for it. Changing priorities in his life mean he's selling his entire system (including 800 mint condition LPs being a mix of classical and jazz...). However, he's in two minds whether to sell or not and if he doesn't get a decent price for the P9 he may change his mind. Interestingly he's using a Dyna D20XH with his P9 (which will sell separately). He also has an unused Benz Micro Silver cartridge (high output MC) which he was planning to upgrade to but never got around to, also for sale.

He bought his P9 from the same dealer I'll be getting my P5 from (and he previously had a P5). If he does end up selling though he has a number of other things I could be interested in :)

Michael.

michaelab, Jan 7, 2005
  6. michaelab

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

I use a Benz Micro Glider can do some things well ?
    Currently using a K reg sig, need to look for better matching unit for the WT
    So when does the Rega arrive then Mike?

wadia-miester, Jan 7, 2005
  7. michaelab

Dexter

Hmmm, so he had his P5 for what, a month, maybe two, before he packed it in for the P9?

And now he's chucking it all? :eek:

Oh the fickle world of high-end audio! :rolleyes:

Dexter, Jan 7, 2005
  8. michaelab

joel Shaman of Signals

This I like the sound of. Private sale or ebay?

joel, Jan 7, 2005
  9. michaelab

sideshowbob Trisha

Damn, you got in before me. :D

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jan 7, 2005
  10. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

He's put a few classical LPs up on eBay already, some of which I will be sniping on so the rest of you can butt out :D (I have no clue of the value of these things though so I need to do some research). I think the rest will also go on eBay...but now we have each others numbers he might be receptive to an offer for private sale without any of the hassle of sending individual records everywhere.

WM, I haven't said a definite "Yes, I'll take one" to the Rega yet but should be getting it sometime in Feb I think.

Michael.

michaelab, Jan 7, 2005
  11. michaelab

joel Shaman of Signals

Sniping tools at dawn it is, then :007:

joel, Jan 7, 2005
  12. michaelab

adam

As I said in a earlier post,I have the Dynavector DV20HX in my P25,and they go exellently together,exellent for my type of music,just contacted the Rega dealer in Spain about putting the RB1000 on my P25,said no problems,as the mounting is different,I thought it may be a problem,but no,and then add a Heed...should sound pretty good.

adam, Jan 7, 2005
  13. michaelab

Dexter

Hey Adam,

Do you already have an RB-1000? Or if you're thinking of buying one, how much will it set you back?

It's my understanding that the RB-1000 lists for £1000, so I'm not terribly surprised that your local dealer is eager to start drillin' holes into your P25! :eek:

The reason I'm asking is that while the Heed Orbit is a very cost-effective upgrade to your P25, when you start looking at £1000 to throw onto a tonearm for it, you might want to start thinking about other possibilities.

Consider that for the same money (£1200 if we include what you would spend for the Orbit, plus, say, £400 for your P25) you could choose from the likes of: Rega P7, Michell Gyrodec SE, Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck, Roksan Xerxes, and yes, even the VPI Scout. And that's just new decks, but there are even more quality 2nd-hand options. Adam, for the money we're talkin' here, the world is your oyster! :D

I don't believe for a moment that an RB-1000 will bring you anywhere close to the kind of performance offered by many other available options. Moreover, I don't believe the RB-1000 is all that much better than your (I'm assuming here) RB-600.

I recently had the opportunity of home demoing a P25, so I had the chance to swap between the RB-600 and my Michell TecnoArm on both the Rega deck and my new 2nd-hand Roksan Xerxes. It was no contest. The TecnoArm tracked with better assurance, deeper bass and clearer imaging. If your thinking about keeping your P25 and spending less money in the bargain, for only £398 it's awfully hard to beat! :)

Cheers, Dex

Dexter, Jan 7, 2005
  14. michaelab

adam

Hi Dexter,

Putting the RB1000 is purely my idea,yeah it will probably cost me 1300 €uros,sell the OL RB600 for about 300 €? so it won't be too bad,I felt cheaper than the 3,300€uro for the P9,I like the look of the P25 aswell,and to be honest a bit tired of selling things and losing on them all the time,I'll get the Heed first as the cheaper item,then look at the arm,maybe I'm crazy,and would be better of with another make,but I like the Regas timing and speed for my listening tastes.

adam, Jan 7, 2005
  15. michaelab

Gromit Buffet-blower

Adam - Dexter's talking one hell of a lot of sense here, but if you really fancy an RB thou, then go for it - it's one beautiful piece of hi-fi sculpture and I'm sure it'll sound Just Fine. Just seems hellishly expensive that's all.

Thing is, even the RB600 (now 700) I'd challenge isn't as good as a re-wired and weighted RB300. I was simply staggered at the improvement wrought early last year when I Incognito'd and Technoweighted my RB300. It felt like someone had let the brakes off - and all for about 200GBP. Personally if I was starting from scratch I'd go for the Techno-arm. :)

Good luck with whatever you choose :)

Gromit, Jan 7, 2005
  16. michaelab

Dexter

Adam, you're absolutely right, the P25 is one mighty attractive deck, and the Orbit will provide you with a substantial upgrade. See how you feel once you've gotten it and perhaps you won't feel quite the urgency to go for the RB-1000.

Of course, there's still a P9 hanging out in Lisbon with no bids on eBay, starting at only 1600 EURO. ;)

Best, Dex

Dexter, Jan 7, 2005
  17. michaelab

JonR

michaelab,

Just curious to know where you're at with your potential TT purchase...care for an update?

Cheers,

JonR

JonR, Jan 14, 2005
  18. michaelab

Gromit Buffet-blower

Ditto what Jon said. :)

Gromit, Jan 14, 2005
  19. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Well, I've only just got back to Lisbon after 2 weeks in London. I'm tempted to put in the order this week but there are a number of reasons why I might hold on for another month or so which I don't really want to go into but they are not hifi related. My decision to buy a P5 + Dyna DV-20X + Dyna P75 stage still stands.

I'll let you all know when I put the order in and when it gets delivered :)

Michael.

michaelab, Jan 15, 2005
  20. michaelab

JonR

Thanks for the update, Michael.

Look forward to reading about what you eventually decide to do!

Cheers,

JonR

JonR, Jan 15, 2005
Ask a Question