My Rega P5 dem

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by michaelab, Dec 29, 2004.

1. michaelab

JPaul

P5, Audioteam and Dynavector P-75

Hi Michael,

Great post! It urged me to register, sign in and answer back, instantly.:)
    I purchased a similar set-up at Audioteam a year ago. I've got a P5, Dynavector phono stage and Dynavector cartridge plus (I guess Jorge might have talked to you about it) a Clear-Audio power supply instead of Rega's one.

After so many years hooked on music (I'm 53 years old) having met so many hi-fi dealers here in Portugal and abroad, the one thing I can tell you about Jorge Alves is that he knows what he's talking about, he's got more than the necessary technical background and equipment to study the products he deals with and he's got a single purpose in mind: - to help you and never, ever fool you. That's to say that you don't have to agree with him always but he'll never disappoint you.

He's right when he says that the starting point must be your speakers and amps; then a pre-amp and, only afterwards, your sources.
    I've tried it the other way around before having met him, with very poor results for the money I have spent throughout the process.

As I never flog an item of equipment previously purchased, I'm able to make an unimaginable number of A/B comparisons, involving pre-amps, amps, turntables, phono stages and speakers.

In addition to the first system I bought back in 1968, after working through my summer holidays and having sold my bike, I keep 12 other systems around the house! All in proper working conditions and each one treasured for its character and the memories that come attached.

Nevertheless, I have only achieved a very satisfying sound quality after having met Jorge Alves and followed his advice, a few years ago. Until then, no matter what new separate I bought and no matter how much money spent, there was always something missing that, after the first exciting days, used to leave me an uncomfortable feeling of unfulfilled expectations.

I'm now looking forwards to include in my system a Noteworthy Audio phono stage. I've auditioned one, at home for the last month. This phono stage really means a huge step forwards in clarity and soundstage. In what concerns Bass timing, attack and distinctiveness I rely on the pair of Keff's ref. 107/2 that I have cherished in the system for the last 18 years.

Hope you and I have our next dreams fulfilled by the end of February, next year.

JPaul

JPaul, Jul 24, 2007
  2. michaelab

Dev Moderator

Welcome to the forum JPaul, hope you'll enjoy your time here.

Unfortunately Michael doesn't post here much. He may reply if you send him a PM.

Dev, Jul 24, 2007
Ask a Question