My speaker quest....new contenders

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by batfink, Jun 21, 2003.

1. batfink

timpy Snake Oil free!!!

Amp or speakers?

It's a tough call, there are better amps in the world, the Nad isn't bad, but I prefer a more cohesive presentation rather than the slightly "over cooked" sound that isn't very even handed, and at worst can make music sound as though it has been through some sort of (fairly innocuous) scrambler with all the best (loudest and most interesting) bits boosted and then thrown back together again. The Nad is colourful and full of life (if not speed), but to use an analogy, for me it's the equivalent of a quick car which hasn't had the handling fully sorted. It has all the right ingredients, but somehow ends up less than the sum of it's parts if the speakers tend towards revealing / need good control.

Also I'm with TonyL. I wouldn't recommend Isobariks for the system anymore than I'd recommend a Ferrari F40 as a second car for the school run / trip to Waitose etc. Even in pancake land, there are a number of competent amps thought of as unsuitable for driving these things. Also system balance does need to be kept in check. I don't much like Isobariks personally anyway, but lets not get bogged down here.

However, IME the Cresta 2s are speakers that have caused me a great deal of trouble in the past with system matching, room interaction etc. They can be good (not usually very good unfortunately) but life is too short, and usually they seem to exhibit all the same qualities of the NAD at the lower end. I classify them as the all too common situation these days with a makers budget range, i.e. need a cheap range to speakers to compete with the likes of Mission who are cleaning up at the budget end, so build a small cheap speaker and bung an enormous port on it for grunt becasue the punters are going to want bass. To my mind this seems how the Cresta 2 was formed, and it is all the more disappointing considering the competition, B&W DM302, Tannoy MX2 etc, Acoustic Energy Aegis 1 / AE100, and even it's forerunner the Kef Coda 8, all of which (I think) are vastly superior designs.

So given the choice the Kefs would get the boot first if it were me. The Nad can do better. Better still, do the two together. If you change speakers, make sure the new ones work well with the NADs likely replacement.

Cheers

timpy, Jun 23, 2003
  2. batfink

My name is Ron It is, it really is

Batfink,

For what's it's worth…

I have a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze B2s and they really do the job for me – detailed, expressive and impactful, plus the front-firing port is an important feature. I intially had them powered by a NAD C320bee, and while this was impressive to begin with, the more I listened the more I became disaffected. The NAD seemed very one-dimensional, giving a quick and bright performance but little else – Timpy's fast-car analogy seems to apply in this case as well.

A solid-core cable – Audioquest Type 4 – helped a little, but in the end I just couldn't live the sound. I took the amp back to dealer and exchanged it for a Denon PMA-355UK. The difference was remarkable. Suddenly I had music, with real bass and a genuine sense of cohesion.

My impression is that the MAs need a bit of warm, controlled power if they're to really shine.

Hope this helps – it's batting lower down the order, I know, but you never know…

By the way, the MAs replaced a pair of KEF Cresta 1s. Again, the difference was clear cut.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2003
    My name is Ron, Jun 23, 2003
  3. batfink

Steven Toy

A Densen B300?

To be use in conjunction with precisely what as a pramp?

I shudder to think! :mrtoy:

Steven Toy, Jun 23, 2003
  4. batfink

batfink

Well said that man! I've moved around a fair bit over the last couple of years and the sound of the Cresta's has varied massively as my rooms have changed. Bass was always the problem.

The Isobariks will never be considered - talk about overkill.

I want to get the best out of my system now and I think replacing the speakers is the way forward. I never expected the KEFs to be perfect and partner more expensive gear, they were just a bargain I got until I could afford some better ones. I'm certain the KEFs aren't getting the best out of my NAD and Arcam combi. I know the NAD isn't perfect and has a few shortcomings, but it's good for the money IMHO and could perform far better with better speakers than the KEFs.

batfink, Jun 23, 2003
  5. batfink

davidcotton prog rocker, proud of it!

Have you tried Dynaudios? They always seem to be well recieved by forum members. You could probably stretch to a pair of audience 42's which are around £400 or so if you kept the atacamas and upgraded them later.

davidcotton, Jun 23, 2003
  6. batfink

batfink

I gave them a go. They had a nice, punchy bass, but didn't feel they were as "bright" as I am looking for to partner my fairly laid-back kit.

batfink, Jun 24, 2003
  7. batfink

technobear Ursine Audiophile

In a week or so I will have a pair of Mission 773e's up for grabs when my new Castle Conway 3s arrive. They would be a good match for the Arcam/NAD combo. Even better if you changed the NAD amp for an Arcam :cool:

Chris

technobear, Jun 24, 2003
Ask a Question