My sweet new speakers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Ultrasonic, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Ultrasonic

Ultrasonic Bo selecta!!

Well, i was very pleased with my system as it was until 1 of my super tweeters in my DC1s got badly damaged. The result was rolled off treble from that speaker. Now fixing them would be an option and a cheap 1 if i could do it myself(tweeter only cost£ 45) and i was initially planning to do this as for around £500 these are the best speakers ive heard. It did croos my mind upgrading but i would have to spend considerably more to better these lovely standmounts...something like £1k plus for substantial improvements

My good friend Rory just happened to be selling his JM lab elektra 905 standmounts for a very reasonable £500 and popped round today to let me hear them before he sells them off. I wernt expecting too much of an improvemtn as my amp and cdp are pretty budget stuff but boy did they sound good! Even in their roughly positioned state-sub not tuned to suit their frequency response they sounded gorgeous. Definately a class above the already excellent tannoys.

Theres is so much more mid bass punch and the treble is very extended and mind blowingly detailed whilst staying refined. We didnt conduct any serious analytical listening, just stuck em on the stands and immedietly i knew these speakers were special. Vocals were more life like than before and the whole presentation was more gutsy. Playing some extremely cheesy tunes from the ministry of sound mash up mix cd(courtesy of Roz :D ) and there was nice rythm going on with the impressive midband qualities being underpinned by bouncy, punchy bass.

The sound wasnt perfect as they wernt optimally positioned-they seemed abit congested compaired to the tannoys which have a nice laid back quality to them. I think they need more space to breath so i shall write proper review once ive set them up properly and give them a good weekends worth of serious listening. Right now im just enjoying the music without thinking to much about the technical stuff.

The Tannoys will be on sale for £230-i recomend anyone who is capable of replacing the tweeter themselves to take this opportunity to own some brilliant dual concentric standounts for well under £300 fixed.rrp is £450 and they are pretty rare and wont be found at discounted prices, even online. Baring in mind they are around 6months old, in good condition except the tweeter, fully boxed with original packaging and manual. I wouldnt have wanted to upgrade these speakers for a very long time but it just happened they got slightly damaged and i was offerend a £1200 pair of speakers for £500.

Ultra

Ultrasonic, Mar 24, 2005
  2. Ultrasonic

ditton happy old soul

well I'm very pleased, not only for you but also for the lovely write-up of a pair of speakers that I now have for sale ...

I didn't want to flood the market while Rory had his in the classified

ditton, Mar 24, 2005
  3. Ultrasonic

Rory satisfied

very nice of you to wait Peter- they should fly at £500- maybe i did price them a bit low.

whats next for me? well i have some Omiga Audio modded Rogers LS4as to make do with but their midrange is quite frankly appalling compared to the JM Labs. Next time i'm in a town with a decent hifi shop i'll try and listen to the Sonus Faber Cremona Auditors again- they blew me away 18 months ago. Someone buy my plinius 8100 first though please!! Thanks!

Rory, Mar 24, 2005
Ask a Question