Mystery TT on eBay

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Uncle Ants, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Uncle Ants

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

here

Audio Linear TD 4001 - it looks like a clone of a Michell Focus One with a Transcriptor/Michell hydraulic or Saturn platter. Doesn't look like rubbish though. The arm looks like a unipivot of some sort. Any ideas anyone? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2005
    Uncle Ants, Apr 6, 2005
  2. Uncle Ants

smudge

I thought possibly an early hadcock arm

Stuart

smudge, Apr 6, 2005
  3. Uncle Ants

Dick Bowman

Yes, enhancing the picture suggests that it probably is a Hadcock (the headshell). The seller doesn't seem to be making a lot of effort to make the arm identity obvious - some more pictures would surely have been easy to arrange. Something of a miracle for a Hadcock of that age to still be alive (at least in my experience).

Audio Linear was (I think) a decent-enough brand - probably died out as a result of the "got to have a Linn" mentality that was so prevalent in those days.

Dick Bowman, Apr 6, 2005
  4. Uncle Ants

Goomer

You'll find better pictures of both the arm and deck over at www.vinylengine.com - the deck is in the A section, and the Hadcock arm is, I believe, what the vinyl engine have posted simply as the hadcock 'GH'. Beyond that, I have no idea.

Chris.

Goomer, Apr 6, 2005
  5. Uncle Ants

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

rather a nice looking deck as it goes, probably benefit fromm a glass platter on top of those pods - if what he says is right and its had all of 5 years use, the arm mightn't be in bad nick either .... hmm. Auntie wouldn't like it though I've currently got three amps, a tuner, two record decks and two minidisc decks gathering dust in the unpacked stuff room aka my office and I don't think I should add to the collection right now :rolleyes:. Mebbe time for Uncle Ants Audio Jumble to get on the road.

I also found this on AudioTools:

"Audio Linear
    This Belgian company manufactured a turntable called TD-4001 that had superficial visual similarities to the Transcriptors turntables, not a lot though, only the platter and the end piece looked similar but it was enough to prompt the Transcriptors Limited company to threaten them with a law suit. The turntable was a belt driven mid end model, it was sold armless although most dealers bundled the model with a SME ltd. arm, the deck was actually made by a subcontractor in Spain, fairly common in Germany and the lowlands but more seldom seen in the rest of the world.."

Uncle Ants, Apr 6, 2005
Ask a Question