Naim/Linn phono stage options...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by jtc, Jan 13, 2004.

1. jtc

jtc

Hi folks.

Nearly done with this hifi lark, the last thing I need to sort out is a suitable phono stage for my Linn. It's an LP12 with a Naim arm and PSU, and a Lyra Helikon 0.34mV (not the SL). It's also a Cirkus deck (having had both, I prefer the Cirkus sound).

Anyway, I've two or maybe more choices:

My system is:

Naim 52/SC/HC/250 into AudioPhysic Virgo mkIII speakers.

The obvious one is to have a Prefix K or S fitted to the LP12 and use either the spare HC (which will be leftover from the 82 upgrade) or to sell the HC (£500ono, it's mint and is a 2000-ish model, but was factory sealed and unused until I got it in November :) ) and power the Prefix from the 52/SC.

The second choice is to save my cash and use the S-boards in the 52, and sell the HC.

The other choice(s) is/are to buy an external phono stage such as the well-regarded Dynavector P25 or something in the £500+/-£200 price bracket, mainly funded by the sale of the HC.

Has anyone been through a similar kind of dilemma recently and what did they decide?

Thanks,

jtc

jtc, Jan 13, 2004
  2. jtc

The Devil IHTFP

Yes, me.

I opted to stick with the 52's internal phono stage (K boards/Troika in my case). It is very good, and I am reliably(?) informed that the prefix is an expensive and very, very minor upgrade compared with it. Diminishing returns & all that.

I did try out a Trichord Dino+ with outboard p/s (£500), which was worse than the 52's internal phono stage, in my opinion.

The Devil, Jan 13, 2004
  3. jtc

ReJoyce ... Jason Hector that is.

And me and guess what, I am going to disagree with Bub. The Prefix was a big upgrade in my Naim system at the time (82 + myCap + 250), perhaps its because my LP12 was better supported than Bub's? ;->

Adding a bigger supply improved it further. I had the chance to also repeat the dem in another system (52 + 135's + SBL's) and got the same results. In this case the Supercapped Prefix the guy ended up with was a revelation and very, very Naim and very, very expensive.

That said I think a Dynavector P100 or P75 is better still so what do I know?

Also this is in the context of Dynavector cartridges, 17D2's and an XX2.

Cheers

Jason

ReJoyce, Jan 13, 2004
  4. jtc

The Devil IHTFP

No worries Jason, I'm only going on other people's opinions. I haven't actually tried the prefix meself so I'll shut up.

Perhaps the cartridge to phono stage match is crucial, i.e. different carts suit different stages. As you know, I'm using the vastly superior Troika, ho ho.

Better-supported...gnash, gnash.

The Devil, Jan 13, 2004
Ask a Question