Need pipe organ registration for Passacaglia

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by ExcitableNewbie, May 25, 2006.

1. ExcitableNewbie

ExcitableNewbie

Hello -- I am a newbie -- taking initial classes in pipe organ.

I have learned to play Bach's Passacaglia on piano, but what are the "registration" settings that I should use for the pipe organ? My instructor does not have them.

I have not found a score that indicates what they should be ... is there a place where such info exists on the web?

I've searched without success. All suggestions welcomed!

Thanks in advance.

RC

ExcitableNewbie, May 25, 2006
  2. ExcitableNewbie

Rodrigo de Sá This club's crushing bore

Welcome, ExNew.

I don't know what version you have learned. Since the organ version is for two hands and two feet, and don't quite see how you can play it on the manuals only.

Even so, there is no registration sets. You can choose the registers you want. You will need to know how an organ works. That said, the easiest way (and probably the original way Bach played it) is just to select a plenum registration. Whatever 16' you have on the manuals, principal, octave, quite, superoctave, Mixture and, at the end, plus cymbel, sexquialter, trompet etc.

Most organists begin with principal 8+4 in the manuals and 16+8+4 in the pedals. I do not have the score at hand (I never played it), otherwise I could make suggestions.

But then it all depends on what organ you have available. No two organs are alike, as I'm sure you know. An organ is not in any way standardized the way pianos are.

Rodrigo de Sá, May 25, 2006
  3. ExcitableNewbie

ExcitableNewbie

Thank you, RdS. I appreciate your input, it does help.

ExcitableNewbie, Jun 7, 2006
Ask a Question