New flat, new sonic environment, new questions...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Mr_Sukebe, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

I moved on Sat to a considerably nicer studio than the place I've spent the last 6 months in.

Of course the result is a change to the sonic interaction between my room and stereo.
    The good news is that it's not a complete sonic disaster. There is a slight 40hz bass hump, but that can probably be solved with moving the speakers around a little.

What concerns me more is how to deal with the wooden (read fake) flooring. I'd rather not uses spiked speakers directly onto the floor, and have put my amp stand onto 5p pieces to avoid.
    On a temporary basis I've put my Kabers on concrete slabs, which are sat on bluetak on the floor.
    From experience, my feeling is that the slabs tend to add speed to the proceedings, but drain a little of the tonal textures.
    Any other suggestions on how best to mount the speakers to avoid this?
    My thoughts at the moment are:
    - Remove the slab and the speaker spikes, then bluetak the speaker directly to the floor
    - Get some more small change under the speaker spikes.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2005
    Mr_Sukebe, Jul 4, 2005
  2. Mr_Sukebe

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi,

If you can't or dont want to change the laminate floor, I'd cover it with the biggest thickest rug you can possibly find.

Thats what I've done. I've also layed extra layers of soundproofing underneath the rug to increase its absorbancy. You could use carpet underlay as a cheaper substitute.

Apologies if you've already done all this.

Cheers
    Chris

bottleneck, Jul 4, 2005
  3. Mr_Sukebe

mr cat Member of the month

yeah, you can get some nices ones from Ikea...

also, some throws on the walls may help too...

mr cat, Jul 4, 2005
  4. Mr_Sukebe

Cloth-Ears

You could use Auralex Gramma platforms, just to think out of the box a bit. I use them and they work fine. Great also for soaking up most of the direct transmittion to neighbours - a point to consider, particularly with a hard floor. Put your spiked floorstanders on the nice level surface the Grammas provide. By the way, Mr.Cat, is there plenty room for a nice big basket for yourself ? I sleep in a basket. :SLEEP:

Cloth-Ears, Jul 4, 2005
  5. Mr_Sukebe

zanash

Watch out for those first reflections....ideally the rug placed at the reflection point or points is a good move. If you remember my room, my speakers fire across the short axis so the floors first reflection and the direct wave are coincidental.The wall first reflections are also reduced with bookcases and curtains. If you look to this first, and then move the speakers about you should be able to reduce the effect of the worst offenders.

zanash, Jul 4, 2005
  6. Mr_Sukebe

rsand I can't feel my toes

Try sorbathane instead of bluetack, i had it under my ma20's it was the best thing I did to them I had been listening to the floor for years!

rsand, Jul 4, 2005
  7. Mr_Sukebe

titian

See if you can borrow two sets of Stillpoints and two sets of Cerabase (from Finite-Elemente) and compare them with the other methods.
    That will be great any way for your experience... ;)

titian, Jul 4, 2005
  8. Mr_Sukebe

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

In my experience spikes direct to floor is the only solution.

Anything with a squidgy/soft interaction seriously screws the sound.

2ps if you must

garyi, Jul 5, 2005
Ask a Question