New here, seeking advice

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Matb1ack, May 24, 2024.

1. Matb1ack

Matb1ack

Hi, this looks like a friendly active forum, I hope I'll be able to get some advice on my room, other than move home!

I'm looking for advice on optimising my set up please.

I'm a bit limited in positioning so things will need to stay in the same place.

I felt the floor mount speakers were just too much so invested in some Monitor Audio Bronze stand mounts to sit on the media shelves.

Found a Arcam DV88+ in a charity shop which I understand has a pretty good DAC so snapped that up.

Planer 2 has been serviced now, turned out it needed some extra work which I wasn't going to be able to do. It has a new cartridge AT95EN.

I've stuck with my Audiolab 8000A.

I think it sounds good, loving having vinyl again!

I'm aware that this is an odd space and we're pushed over to the wall but I can only work with what I have.

I'm thinking some wall treatment might be a sensible cost effective way forward.

Having been away from decent audio for a long time I'm not sure whether my sound is good or bad, I'm bloody sure the corner places speaker isn't doing me any favours. They are front ported which godsend, and have six inches of breathing room behind them as the shelves are pulled away from the way.

I've noticed a left hand bias and tweaked the balance to correct. I presume this is down to the speaker positioning. Speakers are toed in to an equilateral triangle with the listener.

It it worth putting some panels on the side wall on the left or behind the speakers. It needs to fit the aesthetic of the room. Original idea had been acoustic wood paneling around the TV but my budget has taken a battering.

Any input really welcome

Matb1ack, May 24, 2024
  2. Matb1ack

Matb1ack

PXL_20240524_095226976.jpg PXL_20240524_095145379.jpg PXL_20240524_095135836.jpg PXL_20240524_095123946.jpg

Matb1ack, May 24, 2024
  3. Matb1ack

Sergeauckland

Yes, the corner placement for the LH 'speaker won't be doing you any favours. Some absorbancy on the LH wall may help. Before you spend any money, you could try a matress or even a duvet along that wall, and see if there's any improvement.

One other thing I noticed is that the turntable is a long way from the amplifier so presumably you have extended the arm cable. The cartridge is seeing some fairly high capacitance, and you mught get a better result if you can move the amp so you don't need the extension.

Otherwise, there's not a lot you can do with that layout.

S

Sergeauckland, May 24, 2024
  4. Matb1ack

Arkless Electronics

He needs something that can work with the corners.... Tannoy GRF's should be just the trick but may need a little room rearrangement:D

Arkless Electronics, May 24, 2024
    lawrence001 likes this.
Ask a Question