New Order - Shocokingly bad concert

Discussion in 'General Music' started by amazingtrade, Feb 29, 2004.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I watched that concert last night on Channel 4 filmed at Finsley Park.

I was actually quite shocked at just how bad Beneard Sunmner was at singing, also Hooky seemed a bit past it but its not surprising reallly. If this was pop idol he would not have got through the first rounds.

To their credit at least they were singing rather than miming.

amazingtrade, Feb 29, 2004
  2. amazingtrade

sideshowbob Trisha

They were never much good live, I saw them a few times in the early 80s and they never seemed able to get any of their electronics working properly. Barney is possibly the worst singer in history, which didn't help in a live context.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Mar 1, 2004
  3. amazingtrade

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

I saw New Order many times in the early 80s and the unreliable electronics was almost always a feature of the gig. I remember the free members gig when the Hacienda opened (there were two free members gigs, ACR did the other – I went to both).

The New Order one was hysterical, they were very late going on which was pissing the crowd right off. Every now and again one of them would come on to the stage and fiddle with the Emulator sampler (the thing that never worked). Finally Steve Morris went over to it and hit it really hard which seemed to fix it and the gig started. Great gig, Hooky jumped off stage and laid into a few biker types who were causing some grief at the front. They finished with a electronic thing which was obviously a early version of Blue Monday. Ceremony, Everything's gone green and Temptation were all great songs. I've actually got a few photos from that gig, but no scanner so unfortunately can't stick them up here.

I must have seen New Order about 10 or so times around that period.

Tony.

TonyL, Mar 1, 2004
  4. amazingtrade

My name is Ron It is, it really is

As I recall, they were either shockingly bad or shockingly good, depending on how the mood and electronics found them. I saw them at college, in a space that doubled as a cafeteria (at least I think it was, so long ago was it). It was a blistering night, with the sweat dripping off the ceiling. Then I saw them making a monkey's arse of it at Wembley Arena. Same with the records, really.

My name is Ron, Mar 1, 2004
  5. amazingtrade

The think that makes me feel strange about New Order is one minute I would agree with people when they say they are the crappest band ever but on the other hand there created works of geniuses.

Blue Monday is simply a work of art, and before I even mention the cover.

amazingtrade, Mar 1, 2004
  6. amazingtrade

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

I saw Carter USM in a gig like that - I got so hot I had to walk out and listen from outside; nothing worse than sweat rain - even at a rave.

I saw New Order at Reading 98 and they were fan-bloody-tastic. I've often wandered if that little live snippet of them you see in 24 Hour Party People was filmed there - the arena looks familiar?

AT - Blue Monday on 12inch is the best 12inch record cover ever I think - even better than the first press of OMD's first album (another die-cut sleeve) or the weird folding gatefold of ELP's Brain Salad Surgery (which I finally acquired this weekend - along with the "zip" sleeve of Rolling Stones' Sticky Fingers - a pretty nice weekend's trawl - even if the Stones one WAS scratched. It plays OK barring the odd tick'n'pop though :)

domfjbrown, Mar 2, 2004
  7. amazingtrade

batman

best new order songs :
    thieves like us
    vanishing point
    bizzare love triangle
    perfect kiss

very poor singer but somehow affecting on record....:JOEL:
    ________
    Macintosh Games

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2011
    batman, Mar 2, 2004
  8. amazingtrade

Yes I have a feeling the records were some highly altered so they sounded half decent.

What really made me realise Barney cannot sing is when I hearned him trying to Love Will Tear Us Apart, it also made me think if it wasn't for Ian Curtis then New Order probably wouldn't have existed. Barney/Hookey and the gang will probably still be known as the Stiff Kittens and go out busking on Market St, Manchester every saturday.

I am being totaly unfair there, New Order did mostly deserve to do well, their music was truly unique for its generation, you tend to forget Blue Monday is 22 years old etc.

amazingtrade, Mar 2, 2004
  9. amazingtrade

batman

along with the "zip" sleeve of Rolling Stones' Sticky Fingers - a pretty nice weekend's trawl - even if the Stones one WAS scratched. It plays OK barring the odd tick'n'pop though [/QUOTE] NO NO NO you don,t understand dom , your not supposed to play them ... rare records are for looking at, stroking ,caressing and occassionally and ONLY OCCASSIONALLY taking out of the inner sleeve to look at the vinyl :p
    ________
    HERBAL STORE

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2011
    batman, Mar 3, 2004
  10. amazingtrade

It's not that rare in the condition I own it in :) OK, it's not knackered but then it's not exactly pristine either, so I'm not too worried about playing it :) After all it's got a scratch on it for a start...

My sealed copies of Dire Straits' Comminique on 8track cartridge, and Q's DCC DCC1 and DCC2 DCC tapes on the other hand, will stay sealed :)

domfjbrown, Mar 3, 2004
  11. amazingtrade

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Best New Order track was 'Confusion' - the 12inch 'Hip Hop Mix' :)

If anyone's got it, I'd love a copy ;)

technobear, Mar 4, 2004
  12. amazingtrade

jimmymcfarrell Anyone fancy a pint?

Discoverd the new album, get ready is it(?) on my computer, WMA only, but I'm liking it all the same...

jimmymcfarrell, Mar 8, 2004
  13. amazingtrade

Yeah I've been thiking about buying that as Music Zone have it cheap and I need some new CDs t play on my nice new Marantz CD6000OSE LE.

amazingtrade, Mar 9, 2004
  14. amazingtrade

scoop

It's not vintage New Order, but still worth a listen. I do miss being able to pick up those bargains at Music Zone though!

scoop, Mar 10, 2004
  15. amazingtrade

I went to a pub on the way home from work last night. To my amazement, the jukebox has the FULL LENGTH version of Blue Monday on there, and someone had programmed it!

Zang!

domfjbrown, Mar 10, 2004
Ask a Question