new to london....interested in acoustic treatment

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by cmrctrader, Sep 20, 2004.

1. cmrctrader

cmrctrader

I just moved to London from the US with all of my gear etc. Upon setting everything up I have been a bit underwhelmed by my system. I am fairly confident that the room is to blame and would like to look into acoustic treatment, etc. Can anyone recommend a professional consultant/service that specializes in this type of stuff? I am not looking to break the bank, but I am interested in getting my system back up to par. Any help would be appreciated....

Nice work in the Ryder Cup by the way.

cmrctrader, Sep 20, 2004
  2. cmrctrader

maddog 2

Yes, it's unusual to really spank the US in sport so we'll enjoy this for a while I think.

I've not used them myself (prefer the DIY route) but this site may be useful http://www.customaudiodesigns.co.uk/products.htm

They sell all sorts of stuff that can help treat a dodgy room.

maddog 2, Sep 20, 2004
  3. cmrctrader

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

Welcome to the party, cmrctrader.

Before you go spending bucks, why not let us have a go on the forum? What is the problem underwhelm-wise?

7_V, Sep 20, 2004
  4. cmrctrader

julian2002 Muper Soderator

us and uk rooms are sized and constructed very differently. it may just be that what worked in your old room in the us doesn't work that well in your new one. it would be useful to know what equipment you have and room dimensions as well as the problem / difference you are experiencing.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Sep 20, 2004
  5. cmrctrader

cmrctrader

Hey Guys,

thanks for coming back. here is a bit more about my system and room....apologies for not including it before.

The Room is a reasonably sized living room in the garden level of an apartment building. The room measure 18 ft wide by 24 feet long. My speakers are along the north wall (the 18 ft side) facing towards the south wall. Speaker are 3 feet from the back walls and 4 feet from the side walls....making them roughly 8 feet apart. My listening seat is 9 feet from each speaker. The speakers have very little toe in. The room is moderately furnished with end tables, a coffee table, and two couches. A desk and a low bookcase are along the back wall (south wall). There is an 11 foot opening in the southwest corner which opens into a dining area, effectively making it an L shaped room. The dining area measures roughly 11 feet by 16 feet. The floors are carpeted, and although I am not entirely sure of their construction are not solid concrete because they definitely vibrate. The ceiling is 8 feet high and the walls are covered with several pictures. Along the west wall there are two windows...both covered by heavy drapes.

My system is:

Arcam CD player
    Bel Canto SEP2 Preamp (SEP 1) conversion
    Belles 150 A Hotrod Amp
    DALI Euphonia MS4
    Transparent/nordost/MIT Cabling
    PS Audio Statement/Richard Gray's Powercords
    Shunyata Hydra
    Atacama rack
    Black Diamond Racing Cones

I think the worst problem that I am having is that the bass is bloated and boomy. As a result the soundstage is wrong, the detail is gone and the intricacy of the music has vanished. Things no longer sounds airy and crisp....but harsh and dead....that is when I can hear over the bass.

Any help you guys could provide would be super helpful.

thanks

cmrctrader, Sep 20, 2004
  6. cmrctrader

merlin

From a rough look, would it be right in thinking that one of the MS4's is firing at the opening into the dining area and the other at a solid wall?

The first rule for L shaped rooms is to place both speakers and the listening position in the same section of the "L", so it would probably be best to place the listening seat halfway down the 13' section of rear wall then place the Dalis at 2' from one wall and 12ft from the other, toed in to the listening position.

If you have a suspended floor, as sounds likely, try slabs under the Dalis as well. Drive units should be 36" from the rear wall in this case - it's a start - Lshapes are notoriously unpredictable.

What versatility do you have re doors, windows etc?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2004
    merlin, Sep 20, 2004
  7. cmrctrader

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

The first and most obvious thing is to put the bloaty-boominess down to room resonances and suggest that you experiment with speaker/listener position.

Listening position is easier to address because all you have to do is walk around the room crouching in different positions. Now, if you're British you won't have any problems with this. Everyone will just assume that you're a little eccentric and you'll fit right in. However, if you're American you might prefer to do the walking and crouching in private. Your call.

Please report back with your findings. If the bass boom tends to rise and fall as your position changes that may give us an idea of where to go next.

7_V, Sep 20, 2004
  8. cmrctrader

cmrctrader

Merlin....7V....thanks very much for the posts:

Merlin: Actually no, one of the speakers does not fire in the dining area. If I am standing at the listening seat....the long wall 24 is on my left, the speakers are in front of me firing at me (their backs to the 18' wall). If I turn to my right, I look directly at the dining area. Does that make any sense? I took pictures that I am not sure how to post....would be happy to send them to an email address. I hope this makes some sense.

I concur....I am fairly sure that the floors are suspeneded. I bought a pair of mana soundbases to work on that problem. I haven't installed them yet, but hope to in the next 2 days. I will let you know how that goes.

7V: I have actually been working on just that....walking aimlessly around the room, trying to find the best sound. I am American and my wife thinks I am nuts (although I am pretty certain that her ears are more more sensitive than mine). I have had a surprising amount of luck moving the furniture a bit and tweaking things....books on shelves etc.

I am going to try and experiment for the next couple of days....I will be back. Thanks again for the help....

Dustin

cmrctrader, Sep 20, 2004
Ask a Question