newbie question

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by bottleneck, Oct 11, 2006.

1. bottleneck

Coda II getting there slowly

:) 20 years on I'm still a 'classical beginner' and as such will suggest something else from yet another direction:

[​IMG]

David Darling: Dark Wood

Recorded in the ECM way (sparse, clear close-up) add some multi tracking and it's vivid cello. Possible objections would be from those who can't bear any form of noodley-ness.

Coda II, Oct 20, 2006
  2. bottleneck

bat Connoisseur Par Excelence

ballsiness, passion, beauty, good sound... that's R. Strauss Salome (karajan) from the EMI list

bat, Oct 20, 2006
  3. bottleneck

Herman

what you're saying is you like that recording a lot. Have you however considered what a tremendous step it is to go from a juicy, joyful, harmonically and rhythmically simple Haydn cello concerto to Strauss' celebration of weirdness; or that a lot of people new to classical have a hard time adjusting to virtuoso style soprano singing*? In other words, you're recommending pieces of music the Mr Bottleneck is pretty sure NOT to like?

* Bottleneck: "The singing bird gets right on my tits."

Herman, Oct 21, 2006
  4. bottleneck

PeteH Natural Blue

:D Love it.

I'd have to agree that while I have that very set and it's absolutely great, it doesn't exactly seem like a logical next step for bottleneck here. Two-odd hours of intense, twisted wailing, necrophilia and incest probably isn't what he has in mind just now (wonderful though it may be if you can manage to get into it :eek:).

PeteH, Oct 21, 2006
  5. bottleneck

bat Connoisseur Par Excelence

I don't know if I like it - haven't heard it yet! (OK, I know...) Elektra is also a nice bloodbath, why not get both. Or Medea (with Callas). What is the best Elektra recording?

bat, Oct 21, 2006
Ask a Question