Nice Rack

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by Tenson, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

I wanted a nice little rack for a bedroom system for my mum. Wood is a bit boring so I thought I’d try something a little different.

Got some ‘poly glue’ which is a two part polyurethane glue that is very strong and bonds a wide variety of materials. 24hour cure time though! As well as some metal bar and tube.
    [​IMG]
    Glues some bit of aluminium bar to the bottom of two tiles to make the shelf. You wouldn’t want to stand on it but its perfectly strong enough for your average cd player or amp. Maybe you wouldn’t put a big krell on it though ;)

[​IMG]
    Then glue some bigger square tube to the bottom shelf as feet (looks cool like its levitating if you set them back from the edges a bit).
    [​IMG]
    Glue some more square tube, that I sprayed silver, on each corner to support the top shelf. I only glued the bottom part as the top can just sit there and doesn’t need glue. You might like to get a black marker and cover the glue after though so it doesn't sstand out being white.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Clean and oil the tiles. Oiling slate makes it look nice and black and hides those swishy scuff patterns. A bit of vegetable oil does the trick, but use sparingly.

[​IMG]

Enjoy!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

By the way, I got a pack of 5 tiles from Wicks. They were meant to be £16 but the girl at the till must have liked me or something because she only charged me £8 :)

Tenson, Apr 7, 2007
  2. Tenson

anubisgrau

your mum has a nice gear, did you get her some LS3/5As?

anubisgrau, Apr 7, 2007
  3. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

No I am building her something. I will post about it when done.

The CD player it my old Cambridge Audio DiscMagic transport. I bought Zanash's broken Behringer SRC off him and modified it (= fixed it) and used some S&B mini transformers I had. I crammed it all inside the CD player and hey-presto, an integrated player of upmost quality :D The Discmagic is actually a very good transport - I could count 7 regulators on the digital output board alone, local to each component that needed a clean supply. It has copper shielding to separate the control board and output board and also has a separate transformer for each section. All for £70 off eBay 5-6 years ago!

Tenson, Apr 7, 2007
  4. Tenson

JCL

Sweet.

JCL, Apr 7, 2007
  5. Tenson

anubisgrau

i want more pics of that sweet little hairy boy with white socks in front of the gear, please!

anubisgrau, Apr 7, 2007
  6. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

Shes a girl silly :p

[​IMG]

and her brother, clearly a boy.

[​IMG]

Tenson, Apr 7, 2007
  7. Tenson

ShinOBIWAN

And a dirty hussy by the looks of it. Close your legs woman. :D

ShinOBIWAN, Apr 8, 2007