Non-ported speaker options

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Mr_Sukebe, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Here's a question for you chaps.
    I guess I'm a bit weird, but I really can't get on with ported speakers, I simply find that their bass doesn't time aswell as non-ported equivalents.
    The problem I seem to be faced with is an apparent lack of options.

Imagine you had a requirement for a non-ported speaker, £1500 to spend s/h, preferably full range in sound, and will be used with a ballsy solid state amp, preferably with good drive and dynamics, what would you recommend?
    I don't care what technology it uses, whether it's standmounted or floorstanding, just that it meets the above (and sounds good).
    Just one other thing, I don't want a Naim speaker, just can't get on with them.

For reference, I'm using a pair of Linn Kabers, which whilst suffering from their own compromises, do many things very well.

Mr_Sukebe, Oct 4, 2005
  2. Mr_Sukebe

alexs2

Have you tried some of the ported speakers in that price range,such as the B&W 805s and Wilson Arcs for instance....timing,speed and bass extension on both are excellent in the price class.

If you have tried them(with good high powered and tolerant amps),then you may find some of ATC's range to be what you're after,but as with the B&Ws,you will need a good amp to get the best out of them.

alexs2, Oct 4, 2005
  3. Mr_Sukebe

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

ATC SCM35 would seem to fit your bill. Or passive ATC SCM20

alanbeeb, Oct 4, 2005
  4. Mr_Sukebe

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

When you say non-ported.... are you ruling out any vented box (ie transmission lines) and only allowing sealed enclosures? What about non-enclosed speakers such as electrostatic, ribbons and nxt?

I-S, Oct 4, 2005
  5. Mr_Sukebe

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

merlin TSM

2 forum members have them already!

I cant do them justice in a little paragraph on here... essentially they are the best non-ported stand mount dynamic speaker I've heard.

Ever so slightly beyond budget, but not much.

The two people who have them both live 1/2 an hour west of London.. you might be offered a listen !

[​IMG]

The TSM is the standmount, the VSM is the floorstander. The floorstander is ported, so interacts more with a room.

The 2 owners I know (on the forum) who have them, have bought them for exactly the same reason.. a fantastic sound that avoids room interaction. Damn sensible if you ask me.

bottleneck, Oct 4, 2005
  6. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Thanks for the suggestions, that's two key speakers to try to check out, i.e. the TSM and the ATCs.

Ref electrostatics, not really my cup of tea as I like the odd bit of rock and roll, which doesn't seem to merge well.

Mr_Sukebe, Oct 4, 2005
Ask a Question