Norah Jones's debut on Blue Note is a mellow, acoustic pop affair

Discussion in 'General Music' started by Trouble, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Trouble

Trouble

Norah Jones's debut on Blue Note is a mellow, acoustic pop affair with soul and country overtones, immaculately produced by Arif Mardin. This 22-year-old singer with tremendous vocal talent is dead-on cross between Diana Krall and Emmylou Harris blending intimations of Billie Holiday and Nina Simone without sounding like anyone but herself.
    Jones is not quite a jazz singer, but she is joined by some highly regarded jazz talent: guitarists Adam Levy, Adam Rogers, Tony Scherr, Bill Frisell, & Kevin Breit; drummers Brian Blade, Dan Rieser, and Kenny Wolleson; organist Sam Yahel; accordionist Rob Burger; and violinist Jenny Scheinman.
    She includes convincing readings of Hank Williams's 'Cold Cold Heart', J. D. Loudermilk's 'Turn Me On', and Hoagy Carmichael's 'The Nearness of You'. There's a touch of Rickie Lee Jones in Jones's voice, a touch of Bonnie Raitt in the arrangements; her youth and her piano skills could lead one to call her an Alicia Keys for grown-ups. While the mood of this record stagnates after a few songs, it does give a strong indication of Jones' alluring talents.
    My girlfriend did not believe she had the growl and heart of other female vocalists, and I happen to agree, but there is something about her voice which makes it simpler to move around the house and be peaceful with.
    I first heard her on msn radio and went immediately to Metropolis and bought the CD. The album I am sure is better than the CD, but for now it will have to serve its purpose. A Blue Note production will surely help the vocals and staging become even more alive than what it is during the reproduction on CD.
    Selections: 'Don't Know Why', 'Seven Years', 'Cold Cold Heart', 'Feelin' The Same Way', 'Come Away With Me', 'Shoot The Moon', 'Turn Me On', 'Lonestar', 'I've Got To See You Again', 'Painter Song', 'One Flight Down', 'Nightingale', 'The Long Day Is Over', 'The Nearness Of You'.

Trouble, Mar 6, 2005
Ask a Question