NOS DAC VS Musical Fidelity A3 CDP

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by speedy.steve, Feb 24, 2006.

1. speedy.steve

speedy.steve

Ok, I finally got my hands on a nice spec'd NOS dac.
    Still using the wall wart as power supply - so bare with me.

Also using a home made 75ohm (satellite dish shielded copper signal cable) so this might not be the best thing fed from the A3 output.

First impressions are that the sometimes irritating aggressive edge to some music (read, fast complicated combo's of instruments / vocals) on the high frequencies is much improved.
    Less distortion or better resolution of these frequencies is the best way I can explain what I am hearing.
    I could happily listen to music that previously set my teeth a little on edge - esp when played loud.
    The NOS DAC seems to resolve the complexities into something musical enough to be pleasant. I assume MF use oversampling but have not read up about this yet.

But, does there have to be a BUT? ; the bass response has dropped and some the mid range dynamics are not as impressive. Bass kegs have lost that impact and you can't feel the skin of the drum moving the air like before.
    My wife - (who's a singer and has a good pair of ears) commented that the NOS DAC made things sound a little more closed in and less impressive. This would be the impression on the mid range.

So DAC'ers. Can I improve these issues with interconnect / power supply or is it time to up the stakes and go Super/duper DAC or what?

I fancy the Tent Labs XO-DAC, I emailed them a while ago but got no response.

Any comments much appreciated.

speedy.steve, Feb 24, 2006
  2. speedy.steve

zanash

Yes good cables and a few mods to the dac will improve things ...pm me for details

But your not going to make a £150 bit of basically diy kit out perform a £1000 cdp/dac . I know this as I own the £1000 cdp and have squeezed a great deal from the humble nos. Its good but not that good !

zanash, Feb 24, 2006
  3. speedy.steve

speedy.steve

Thanks Zanash.
    That's kinda what I needed to hear... I was at the show in Bristol today.
    Not much use for listening objectively, but fun.
    It did help me realise that my kit is good, very good.

I was taken with the Copland CDA 823 and it KT88 Svetlana based Tube amp partner. The Son of Heffa amp project leader had a Copland and I always liked it.

I will be auditioning the Copland and the possibly the Vincent Hybrid - if I can find a place that has them. I will be taking my A3 under my arm and ask for a back to back on their kit to start with and then audition at home.

It's fun this - it is really fun.

speedy.steve, Feb 25, 2006
  4. speedy.steve

Commited

Zanash - have you heard the DIY Paradise 1545 DAC?
    Miles ahead of any offering from Derek Shek in my opinion!

Commited, Feb 26, 2006
  5. speedy.steve

zanash

No sorry not heard that one ..........but I've seen the pic and does look good. though the circuit is fairly similar if my memory is correct., so the difference "flavour" could be down to component choices.

zanash, Feb 27, 2006
  6. speedy.steve

Commited

Could well be! I'm incredibly impressed, only downside is the decreased volume output, but it's not really a big issue.

Any experience of these Class D amps yet? The Hypex modules look interesting!

Commited, Feb 27, 2006
  7. speedy.steve

leo

I'm currently experimenting with a pair of the UCD modules, they are not bad as standard but they have potential, I'm starting to get some very good sounds out of mine

leo, Feb 27, 2006
Ask a Question