Not DVD-A but....

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by MO!, Oct 15, 2003.

1. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Hi,

There's quite a few music DVDs out now. I don't mean DVD Audio, just standard DVD. Live shows, unplugged shows, and complete albums with videos. I've seen quite a few with DTS soundtracks. Some with a 5.1 track too!

How would these compare, when played in stereo, through the same kit as a standard cd version? I use a DVD player as transport into a DAC so buying the DVD version seems the better option to me if both are available.

Experiences?

MO!, Oct 15, 2003
  2. MO!

westen

MO,

I'm not sure if this is a good example, but I have the Tubular Bells 2003 CD which comes with a DVD as a second disc. Now as its a sample disc it may not be the best quality, but I found that the dvd version sounded awful compared to the CD. That maybe because I don't have a 5.1 system and its being downmixed to stereo, I'm not sure. I haven't tried any other Music DVDs so I can't really say if all DVDs are like this.

Cheers

Martin

westen, Oct 15, 2003
  3. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Westen, it's as a stereo option i'm interested.

DVD has a higher sampling rate AFAIK so would assume in stereo it would have advantages in a set up like mine.

As far as what you said though, I wouldn't have thought it's a downmixed 2 channel mix you've got. I'd imagine it has both a stereo and a 5.1 mix on the DVD, no need to set your player to downmix :confused:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2003
    MO!, Oct 15, 2003
  4. MO!

westen

I have to admit I've only put the DVD version in once and I didn't really look at what I was doing with it. I'll try it again maybe tonight and test it again and I'll let you know what I find.

Cheers
    Martin

westen, Oct 15, 2003
  5. MO!

Rory satisfied

i have Elton John Greatest Hits on DVD-Video and on CD. The separation seems a bit better in 2ch dvd than cd, to me, using internal dac in dv747a

Rory, Oct 15, 2003
  6. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Rory, have you tried sending both through your DAC?

MO!, Oct 15, 2003
  7. MO!

Rory satisfied

haven't tried dv747 thru dac yet

sounds like a bakeoff case to me HINT HINT:D

Rory, Oct 15, 2003
  8. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

should be interesting :) You may wish to keep elton locked away though ;)

MO!, Oct 15, 2003
  9. MO!

HenryT

Isn't the 2 channel stereo downmix on a DVD-V disc encoded in 24bit/48Khz ?

If so, then potentially yes, DVD-V has the "potential" at least to sound better than redbook CD.

HenryT, Oct 16, 2003
  10. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

CD's 16bit 44.1 yeah?

I understand the 44.1 bit, but what's the bit rate about?

Can all DVDs output 24bit/48KHz?

I'm trying to make sense of a table that lists what my DVD can out put through the various methods for a given input. It's hard to follow :confused: but it looks like it will only send 16bit/48KHz through its PCM/Bitstream jack (I take it this means no matter whether you're using the coax or optical???), regardless of how high the rate on the DVD is.
    For example, if the DVD is 96KHz/24Bit, and the player is set to output Bitstream, or PCM, it will send 16/48 through the Bitstream/PCM jack, and 48/20 to the 2chan out.

If the players set to output an Analogue 2chan signal on 96/24, it says it can't send it through it's Bitstream/PCM (can't do anything above 20bit/48KHz), but will send 96/24 through it's 2chan out. I assume this is because it's using it's internal DACs?

My DAC can handle upto 96/24, I take it my DVD player wont output it through it's digital connections though? :confused:

As far as i'm aware MOst DVDs are only 24/48? My DVD outputs that as 16/48 when set to output PCM or bitstream through the PCM/Bitstream jack, or 20/48 through the 2chan outputs.
    But when set to output an Analogue 2chan signal, it sends nothing through the Bitstream/PCM jack, but again, sends the same as what it's reading off the disc through the 2chan outputs.

When set to Output an Analogue 2chan signal, it will only output for 16/48 and 20/48, and both as 16/48, through its Bitstream?PCM jack outputs.

Can anyone put this into simple terms? :rolleyes: :confused: Will sticking another 9.5 packs of blue tack help?

MO!, Oct 16, 2003
  11. MO!

robert_cyrus

the sting dvd has a superb quality soundtrack. better than the cd audio-only version imo.

[​IMG]

robert_cyrus, Oct 16, 2003
  12. MO!

PBirkett VTEC Addict

It obviously depends. I got a Chicane album which came with a bonus DVD with music videos of their songs, and it sounds like crap compared to the cd...

PBirkett, Oct 16, 2003
Ask a Question