nude blonde nympho has rega question

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by pixies, Jul 27, 2007.

1. pixies

pixies a menace to society

Would the P3 motor upgrade (£80) and Project Speed box SE (£270) be worthwhile upgrades for a planar 3? I have already upgraded to a denon 110 which now brings it up level to my Quad 99 cd player (sweeter, fuller sound but behind on clarity - perhaps needs more running in or better alignment). I feel that the deck if properly set up should be streets ahead of it's digital friend.
    The slight overspeed of the rega really bugs me; not just the increase in pitch but on some music i really get the sense it's dashing for the line and gets ahead of the proper tempo in my head quite blatantly. good mind to take off the entirely innocent RB300 and give it a bloody good thrashing.
    help!

pixies, Jul 27, 2007
  2. pixies

zanash

Imo....the p3 is rather limited ...save your money for a better deck like a NAS ..

zanash, Jul 27, 2007
  3. pixies

dudywoxer Regaholic

you could try a heed , I am on my third Rega and can not say I have noticed they run fast. Must be a tolerance thing.
    the groovetracer replacement sub platter stuff may be what you need rather than a Power supply
    ________
    Avandia help

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2011
    dudywoxer, Jul 27, 2007
  4. pixies

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

all the rega decks are 'rather limited', but that doesn't stop them producing a great sound and good value for money.

my p5 which has the latest motor and control board runs a touch fast still, i think the pulley is slightly oversized.

sq225917, Jul 27, 2007
  5. pixies

pixies a menace to society

Zan - i reckon it would be cheaper pound for pound to upgrade than start again. then again i love new toys. how much should I spend considering i'm as tight as a gnat's chuff? been rather spoilt pricewise by a local company that makes electrostatics; they have offered me a special edition Clearaudio table for six hundred notes but i feel that may be a sideways step.

I am also beggining to think that the speed and quality issues are record dependant. Graceland runs quicker (unpleasantly so) and sounds more detailed on CD but Sonic Temple tonight was miles better on vinyl and ran slower. I am rather fond of the Rega - it just sounds so 'right' at times.

pixies, Jul 27, 2007
  6. pixies

peez

there is a notts analogue horizon se on audio candy at £450, that shold boot the p3 up the bum a bit, complete with rb250.

peez, Jul 27, 2007
  7. pixies

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

pixy for what you'd get for the deck and the cost of those upgrades you could pick up a P5.

sq225917, Jul 28, 2007
  8. pixies

dudywoxer Regaholic

It may be should, but to me it doesn't, added to which its pug ugly.
    ________
    tits Webcam

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2011
    dudywoxer, Jul 28, 2007
  9. pixies

peez

a year or so ago, I wrote to Mark Baker at Origin Live and asked him a similar question relating to his motor upgrade for the p2, and whether it would be better to buy his £200 and up motor, or go ffor an sl1200 with his armboard, he suggested the sl12 despite him losing a motor sale, said i would be gobsmacked with the rega arm on it, and i was - there is a feature in sept (the latest) hi fi world - they recon it runs sme close in some areas - admittedly the arm was tweaked and the cart a lyra dorian, but i run mine with the rb250 (modded) and sumiko bp 2 , and it sounds really good,esp for the money, as i sold bits off of the donor decks to recoup funds £75 for the deck after i sold the arm on ebay and £39 for the arm board for it. worth a read of the review if nothing else.

peez, Jul 28, 2007
Ask a Question