Odd CD player fault, any ideas?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Mr_Sukebe, Jul 9, 2003.

1. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

My Teac VRDS-7, appears to have developed a small fault, I'm hoping that someone might have some ideas.

When it has a CD in the drawer, when you try to use the eject button, the light on the front flashes as though it's about to give you your CD back, and then absolutely nothing happens.
    It seems to take 3-4 attempts at this before it will eject the CD.

Interestingly, with no CD in the drawer, it ejects immediately.

To me that suggests that it has a sensor inside, which prevents the CD being ejected until the CD has been released from the VRDS clamping mechanism.
    Any good ideas?

Mr_Sukebe, Jul 9, 2003
  2. Mr_Sukebe

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Has the disc actually stopped spinning, and if it has, can you 'Hear' the disengauging of the clamp before ejection?, try also cleaning the laser lens with a 'cleaner disc' this may help with skipping mistraking, else I'm afarid it' could be the Photodiode/laser assembly.WM

wadia-miester, Jul 9, 2003
  3. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

I think I'd better take the lid off again to check about the disengaging of the clamp.

Using GT85 on the laser rail has solved the skipping problems.

Mr_Sukebe, Jul 10, 2003
  4. Mr_Sukebe

zanash

Ooch...

Sorry to hear of the problems,

sounds like you might have a sticky mechanism, in that the machine is strugling to give up the disc, until on the third or forth attempt the fault[?] is over come. I suggest you operate themachine with the lid off without a disc a numbe of times and then add adisc and see if there is any obvious mechanical fault.

Hope you used the GT85 on the endof a cotton bud ?

Did the fault occur after the use of GT85 ?

you could have a slipping mottor pulley ?

If you have contaminated the rubber belt or pully you need to "dry" the surfaces, say with talcum powder. Apply with a cotton bud and rub in.

let us know if you can see if there anything wrong.

zanash, Jul 10, 2003
  5. Mr_Sukebe

zanash

Does the cdp make a noise as if to eject every time you prees the eject button ? If not It could be a faulty switch or dirty contacts. I've spotted your other post so the fault started before the the skipping. Disregarde the belt cleaning !

zanash, Jul 10, 2003
  6. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Pete,

The fault had already developed prior to me using the GT85. I applied the lubricant using a watchmakers screwdriver, by spraying a small amount on the tip of the screwdriver (whilst well away from the CDP), then dribbling the droplets one at a time from the tip of the screwdriver onto the laser rail. So there is no way that the fault was caused by the GT85 application.

The VRDS mechanism clamps the CD in a very rigid way (hence the name), certainly more so than a std CDP. As the player will happily open it's CD drawer when there is no CD in the player, looks like it's something to do with the clamping mechanism not releasing the CD when it should.
    My guess is that not only the laser rail, but also the clamping mechanism have had their lubricant dry up. So tonight I'll have another look inside to see if I can work out how to lubricate the clamping mechanism too.

Mr_Sukebe, Jul 10, 2003
  7. Mr_Sukebe

zanash

Can't disagree with you looks like the best course of action, as you say you will need toprobabley re lub all the moving parts of the draw and eject mechanism. Its dificult to diagnose faults at a distance !!

zanash, Jul 10, 2003
Ask a Question