Oh not that old chestnut again......

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by zanash, Jun 17, 2006.

1. zanash

zanash

I've recently made a couple of three trips to see people, with widely different gear. The one common factor was the that each system was able to show that green edged cd's made a not inconsiderable improvment in sound. Would any one like to try it ?

zanash, Jun 17, 2006
  2. zanash

zygote23

I'll give it a blast......let me know what type of marker to start scribbling with.

zygote23, Jun 17, 2006
  3. zanash

la toilette Downright stupid

Yeah count me in as well. I'd discounted it after reading that a lot of people have thought it a load of old cobblers, but have never tried it myself. As per previous post, what shade of green should we start with :D ?

la toilette, Jun 17, 2006
  4. zanash

LinearMan

It's difficult to be open minded about this, as it seems rather preposterous ~ what possible physical phenomenon could be behind it?

Having said that ~ I'll give it a go on the proviso that the marker does not have any adverse affect on the CD.

LinearMan, Jun 17, 2006
  5. zanash

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

It has no negative impact on the CD.

The problem is that most people think it's a "marker pen". It is not... it is an opaque paint. When people try a marker (especially an OHP marker, which is designed to be transparent) it does not work.

I-S, Jun 17, 2006
  6. zanash

LinearMan

LinearMan, Jun 17, 2006
  7. zanash

Baudrillard

Baudrillard, Jun 17, 2006
  8. zanash

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Illuminator is different... I have one CD that used to be stoplighted that was subsequently treated with illuminator. There's not a huge difference between the two I think.

I think that any decent acrylic paint will do the job. Zanash mentioned a "posca paint pen" which can be bought from art shops which apparently is similar to stoplight.

I-S, Jun 17, 2006
  9. zanash

Stereo Mic

Sorry but I really don't think they make much difference. Maybe in an A/B we convince ourselves of huges improvements, but 6 months down the line, do you really find yourselves listening more to the CD?

Stereo Mic, Jun 17, 2006
  10. zanash

Tenson Moderator

I have had one for about 11years called Hunt E.D.A 'CD Edge Pen' of all things. It makes no difference except I have a few funky looking CDs. Zanash I'd love for you to come down and see if your one can do the job.

Tenson, Jun 17, 2006
  11. zanash

Hodgesaargh

Sorry but any old green marker will have the same effect. Do not fall for the marketing bs.

Hodgesaargh, Jun 18, 2006
  12. zanash

technobear Ursine Audiophile

http://www.greatart.co.uk/STAEDTLER...1163&typeAffichage=afficheArticle&idCarac=009

The Staedtler 350-9 (Black) is the one supplied with Auric Illuminator kits ;) (ignore the picture, it's wrong)

Any old marker won't do because they don't all successfully stick to CDs in an opaque fashion.

As well as marking the outer edge, you should also mark the top and bottom surface around the edge for a millimetre or three.

Also mark the clear area in the centre of the disc on both sides and the inner edge of the centre hole.

Note that if you do this properly the ink will not last for as many CDs as the AI does so I suggest ordering a set of ten spare pens even if you have AI already.

technobear, Jun 18, 2006
  13. zanash

ditton happy old soul

... just had a look at the date of this post, but its not April any more.

Having an open mind on cable effects is one thing, but green paint?? Would someone please have a go at 'explaining' the physics/chemistry at work.

ditton, Jun 18, 2006
  14. zanash

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i'll have a crack at it.....

1) the paint stops laser leakage from the edge of the cd bouncing around inside the cd draw causing interference with the real 'signal' and hence sending the errorchecking into overtime. painting the inside of the cd draw can have a similar effect (naim) or bathing it in a blue led (metronome) - allegedly..

2) modern cd motors and cd manufacturing are notoriously kak so adding a thick paint to the outer edge of the cd goes someway to evening out the weight around the rim improving the stability of the spinning disk - giving the laser an easier time of tracking - yadda yadda yadda.

3) it's a placebo effect. there is no difference really but subjective testing allows one to creep in.

to be honest i've no idea and can;t be arsed painting all my cd's - it's too much effort for the tiny improvement i've sometimes heard. however just because there's no definitive explaination doesn;t mean there is no phenomenon.

julian2002, Jun 18, 2006
  15. zanash

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I'm doubtful of any significant benefit from this, but the possible negative effects to the disc have always put me off even trying it. Are you sure it wouldn't damage the disc long term? Wont the ink/paint "react" with the disc at all?

MO!, Jun 18, 2006
  16. zanash

zanash

Ok....

some interest in trying it out......

At present I've got six pens, hopefully I'll get some more...the first few to pm me will get the first chance to try.

The down side I need to cover my cost so the pens are £3 each plus postage £1.50 or I can give you the details and you can get them from some art shops, but don't spend more than £5. The pens are dark green water based poster paint.... there may be other types that work. Sorry I'm not a charity !

Isaac has heard my two disc's so he does know the difference..

To test get two identical cd's or even cdr's [as jimbo did] treat one making certain not to get the paint on the data side ! allow to dry and then a/b them

If you have the trinity sessions by cowboy junkies track 4 with the harmonica intro shows the effect up very clearly.

Mo...the paint sits on the surface and can be removed ...infact it does wear off I've some 15 year old disc that need recoating now.

Julian has posted the reason why its thought to work ...but I just don't know.

I have painted the tray of my test bed cdp with very small gains so it seems its a cd thing not so much transport.

zanash, Jun 18, 2006
  17. zanash

MO! MOnkey`ead!

The ones TB linked to are 80p. Will they do?

MO!, Jun 18, 2006
  18. zanash

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Mo - I think the important characteristic is that the ink is light-proof, and black or green in colour. If it lets light through its no good.

Ive got one and played with it, I heard negligable differences and don't bother any more. For the pennies it costs its ok for a bit of fun and an experiment.

Another one is using anti-static photocopier glass cleaner on your CDs. Costs just a few quid and has similar small but perhaps noticable in some circumstances result. Also has benefit of cleaning the disc!

bottleneck, Jun 18, 2006
  19. zanash

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Is that a yes or no then :confused:

Indeed, spending pennies and just for the sake of an experiment is all I'm really looking to do :)

MO!, Jun 18, 2006
  20. zanash

zanash

I've tried those types but with no great effect ....as bottleneck says it needs to be opaque.

I have to say I go in fits and starts with it .....but in the end all my disc end up edged.

zanash, Jun 18, 2006
Ask a Question