oil your bearings

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by keith, Jan 27, 2006.

1. keith

keith

Hi folks.

Just extracted old and added new graphite-based oil to the Ariston bearing, today. It must be 8-9 years since last time, but the old oil seemed clear with no colour change.

Please can anyone suggest, with some rationale, how often bearing oil should be changed for optimum performance. I'm glad to say that I can't hear any noise from the Ariston platter despite its 15 years.

keep the phase
    keith

keith, Jan 27, 2006
  2. keith

penance Arrogant Cock

Nearly all oils degrade with time/use. It is always a good idea to change oil on a regular basis.

Discolouration is not always a sign of degredation. A change in colur normaly comes from the enviroment the oil is used in, car engines will turn oil black when carbon from combustion passes the cylinder rings and mixes with the oil. Obviously there is no such contamination with a TT, the only thing i can think of that may cause discolouration would me bearing wear causing minute particles of the bearing to mix with the oil.

penance, Jan 27, 2006
Ask a Question