Old Speakers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Terry, Oct 3, 2003.

1. Terry

Terry

Has anyone experience of any of the speaker systems listed below (mid 1970s)? If so it would be great to hear about the perceived strengths and weaknesses of these speakers.

If anyone has pictures, brochures, handbooks, details of any of these and would be willing to email me copies then please contact me. ([email protected]). I will be most grateful.

If anyone is still using one of these sets of speakers within their sound system I would also be pleased to receive details of the system.

IMF Monitor TLS80 A four unit system incorporating KEF B139; modified KEF B110; Rola Celestion HF1300 44mm diaphragm unit for HF; Coles 19mm chemical dome super tweeter for EHF.

Audiomaster Image 2 A two unit system incorporating KEF B200 and Peerless HF type K010 25mm soft dome

Celef Mini Professional A two unit system incorporating KEF B200 and Audax HF unit 20mm doped fabric dome.

Celef Studio Professional A three unit system incorporating KEF B139; Audax 203mm Bextrene unit to cover upper bass and mid range; Audax 25mm soft doped fabric dome tweeter.

JR 149 (Jim Rogers) Round vertically with aluminium cage. KEF B110 and KEF T27.

LNB Para-Lab Super A two unit system incorporating KEF T27 and Elac 165mm long throw bass unit.

Monitor Audio MA 4 A two unit system incorporating 220mm Bextrene cone unit, KEF B1039 and a special modified Isophon unit.

Tangent RS 6 A three unit system incorporating KEF B200 connected out-of-phase with KEF B110 and KEF T27 tweeter.

Terry

Terry, Oct 3, 2003
  2. Terry

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Go to the Naim/Pink Fish forums...

The Tangent 4's have been mentioned recently.

The IMFs are supposed to be pretty good - with oodles of low end welly due to transmission line cabinets - though whether it stays in time with the rest of the sound I don't know. They're old skool wide/tall/deep cabs so fairly domineering.

The JR149s are basically round cabinet'd versions of the BBC LS3/5A.

Thats' about all I know though.

domfjbrown, Oct 3, 2003
  3. Terry

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

IMF Monitor TLS80 A friend has these and work well even though he has a smallish room. Tight bass and very natural sound. Slightly warm and a bit closed in.
    Audiomaster Image 2 My first proper speaker. Works well on stands away from wall. Very inviting sound which is not as detailed as modern speakers but may be better for it. Slightly flabby bass even when in an optimal position. (no good as party speakers, that's why I don't have them any more:eek: )
    JR 149 Still use these as near field on my computer. I personally prefer them to LS3/5a's. Give a slightly more natural sound without the slight bass hump engineered into the LS3/5a.

HTH

LiloLee, Oct 3, 2003
  4. Terry

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Sorry for thread hijack, but what amp does he use with the IMFs Lee? Just curious - wandered if a NAIT3 would have the balls to work them as one thing I don't have anywhere near enough of in my room is bass (those little Elas are a tad small for the room, though what they do they do really really well - especially for the £50 I paid for them :)

domfjbrown, Oct 3, 2003
  5. Terry

He uses a 40 watt Valve amp from www,worldaudiodesign.co.uk.

LiloLee, Oct 3, 2003
  6. Terry

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Hey, you guys are Lucky, Timpy's hard at work, so your spared from those lengthy speaker posts :D , however I'm not :( Rewiring and piecing together his Raruk Braodswords :SLEEP: Wm

wadia-miester, Oct 3, 2003
  7. Terry

jsummers

If you are still looking for info on the TLS80, go to:
    http://imf-electronics.com/TLS80/
    Hope this helps
    John

jsummers, Dec 15, 2004
  8. Terry

Terry

Thanks John
    It is good to see that people trawl through the old postings.
    Terry

Terry, Dec 15, 2004
  9. Terry

michaelab desafinado

It's good to see that you're still lurking Terry! As the person who started the "My Kit" thread it would be a shame if you weren't :)

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 15, 2004
  10. Terry

Terry

Michael

Yes I still occasionally keep an eye on zerogain, pink fish and Naim forums and the Nak, LS3/5a, Spendor and Quad mailing lists. Time is always against me just now for family reasons and so I don't get involved in contributing to any of them at the moment.

I do honestly feel guilt that my name is there always on that very visible thread yet I am only now an occasional lurker. When time permits I will be back.

Thanks for noting my re-appearance.

Terry

Terry, Dec 15, 2004
  11. Terry

alexs2

Like a few others,I remember the IMF TLS80,and whilst a pretty large speaker,it does have relatively good deep bass,if in the old school of transmission lines,by being a bit slow and behind the rest of the music.
    Also very inefficient,but relatively undemanding as far as impedance and reactance.

alexs2, Dec 15, 2004
  12. Terry

Graham C

You might find the Monitor Audio MA4 was a Martin Colloms design, so that might help in the digging.

Graham C, Dec 15, 2004
  13. Terry

Mart Smog Dodger

JR149's, boohoo, you made me cry.

I had a mint pair of these some years ago, unmarked and like new.

Call me a fool and I'll agree with you but as the girlfriend at the time didnt like them, I gave them to a friend secure in the knowledge that they were going to a good home. He still has them and tho I've offered to buy them off him he wont part with them, and I dont blame him, their value is on the up and they had such a natural and relaxed midrange tho low bass wasnt on the agenda.

the moral of the story, if the girlfriend dont like your speakers dont get rid, hide em somewhere, or you'll be sorry :D

Mart, Dec 17, 2004
  14. Terry

I must be lucky then, since the wife likes them.

LiloLee, Dec 17, 2004
  15. Terry

Gromit Buffet-blower

Was playing down at Angel Studios in Islington last week - nice to see a pair of old Keesonic Kubs sat in the corner of the downstairs studio (Lord knows what they were doing there). Felt like putting them under my arm, taking them away and giving them a good home :)

Gromit, Dec 17, 2004
  16. Terry

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Ive got a pair of JR149's at my house at the minute.

I put up some posts a few months ago to say how much I like them. Quite hard to drive, but a great sound, very full - reminds me of a vintage Proac 1SC! not bad for 150-200 on the used market.

The pair I've borrowed are being sold by the Emporium, if you're looking to get some Mart. I think they are up for about 150. They need new speaker cloth, but are ok.

bottleneck, Dec 18, 2004
  17. Terry

papalamour

celef speakers

I am a proud owner of a pair of CELEF DOMESTIC 2 SUPER monitors. I have a couple of 70's kef's; kef reference 103.1's and a pair of original Kef 101's - the celef's are the ones that get left on all the time. Simply beautiful sound. Until they arrived i have a pair of B*W CM2's and although the celef's don't go as loud nor do they have the bass control. They are a "better player of music"... Now i need to try some proacs:)

They are played through either a quad 44/405 II or a Teac reference system.

papalamour, Jun 11, 2007
Ask a Question