opinions on this av setup, a good match??

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by mentalmax, Feb 26, 2007.

1. mentalmax

mentalmax

Hi, obviously an audition is the best solution, but i am curious to know if anybody has any immidiate opinions of how this surround sound system would perform...
    any feedback would be greatly appriciated, cheers

Arcam avr-250 receiver
    Arcam DV78(or 79)
    quad centre speaker
    quad L-subwoofer
    4*quad 11l speakers

how well do the 11ls work for movie sound, and does the arcam reciever pair well with quads? cheers

mentalmax, Feb 26, 2007
  2. mentalmax

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I dare say you might get more of a response in avforums than here since this is more biased towards stereo music reproduction... I doubt anyone here would really know how that exact system would perform!

PBirkett, Feb 26, 2007
  3. mentalmax

mentalmax

noted...
    cheers, i will try avforums.

mentalmax, Feb 27, 2007
  4. mentalmax

melorib Lowrider

Nothing wrong with that system, if you like the sound...

melorib, Feb 27, 2007
  5. mentalmax

dunkyboy

Sounds like a perfectly reasonable surround system to me. High quality and good VFM. It'll sound just fine. The only question is whether its sound will appeal to you.

IME Arcam kit tends to be very high quality and good value, but with a bit of a "safe" sound - mostly neutral with a hint of warmth 'n cuddliness, and with no features really standing out. Some of the cheaper Arcam kit has sounded a tiny bit "mechanical" to me - lacking a bit in fluidity and smoothness - though this is masked somewhat by the slightly softened treble. The higher-end Arcam kit suffers less from this quality.

My limited experience of the Quad L-series speakers is that they're again generally high quality sound for the money, quite neutral but a bit on the lean side, lacking weight, and with a slight tendency to shrillness at high volumes. The subwoofer should help in this regard (by all accounts the L-sub is very good, though perhaps better suited to music than movies?) and personally I find move soundtracks don't tend to be too badly compromised by a lean sound as long as it's dynamic and with powerful bass (as compared to music which really suffers when kit is overly lean-sounding). On the other hand, I'm not sure how dynamic the Quads are... they're only wee...

I would guess that the slight warmth of the Arcam will nicely balance the slight leanness of the Quads. The combo should be a good match, the overall sound being very neutral overall. But that's just a guess! Listen for yourself

Dunc

dunkyboy, Feb 27, 2007
  6. mentalmax

mhuk easily distracted

As an aside, you don't need the same make of sub as the speakers.

Size of the satellites shouldn't affect AV performance too much- setting the crossover on the amp means the sub will handle all the low frequencies.

mhuk, Feb 27, 2007
  7. mentalmax

mr cat Member of the month

yeah, you may want a better sub...
    velodyne are good - and accordng to avforums - svs and bk are also too...but I haven't had any experience of them!

mr cat, Feb 28, 2007
  8. mentalmax

Garmt

It is a great system, Arcam matches well with Quad speakers. You might also consider the new 'one box' Arcam Solo Movie for 2000 UKP. It sounds incredibly good (I have heard it in the Arcam factory a few weeks ago) and I think it will better the AVR250/DV78 quite easily. It also has the benefit of a great scaler and HDMI output that also does 768p.

The AVR250 will be superseded by the AVR280 and the DV79/78 replaced by the DV135, so there are deals to make here for the older models.

I do not know the Quad subs, but I think Velodyne is VERY hard to beat for the money.

Garmt, Feb 28, 2007
  9. mentalmax

mhuk easily distracted

I have an SVS and it's good enough for me (replaced a Velodyne).

mhuk, Feb 28, 2007
  10. mentalmax

mr cat Member of the month

which models of sub did you have, and also what setup and config is your setup..?

cheers

mr cat, Mar 1, 2007
  11. mentalmax

Levi_501 Its in The Jeans...

I have a Rel Stadium II sub, both connected high level for Hi Fi and low level for movies. Works wonderfully.

The Arcams are ment to perform well, but I have never been a fan of Arcams build quality. Always feels plasticy and cheap to my mind.

Levi_501, Mar 1, 2007
  12. mentalmax

melorib Lowrider

As you can see on my signature, I have 2 REL in one system and 1 B&W in the other, I prefer the B&W, both aestethicaly and quality of sound, but its xovers are a bit less flexible...

melorib, Mar 1, 2007
Ask a Question