Ortofon cartridge upgrade

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Donut, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Donut

Donut

I'm considering upgrading my Ortofon MC15 II super for a MC25FL. Seems to be a good price. I like the MC15 so thought the 25 would be more of the same. Any thoughts....Is the 25 much better than the 15......would I notice the difference on my RPM6 (no slaggin the Project off please, I like it :) )
    If it is much better - in what ways?
    Cheers all
    Donut

Donut, Jun 25, 2004
  2. Donut

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

IIRC the MC25 is effectively the MC15 with a better qusality metal body. The Ortofon range is very good and very consistent – I've owned both a MC25FL and a MC 10 Supreme, I marginally preferred the latter as it was a little more bouncy and warm, but I accidentally ripped the cantilever out with a yellow duster. Arse. Another contender is the ubiquitous Denon 103 that is in the same ballpark (better in some areas, worse in others) and costs but 90 quid. The Denon is more warm, organic and believable, but can veer to slight sibilance on some tightly packed grooves, the Ortofons are leaner and perhaps cleaner. All are excellent carts IMHO. The two Ortofons are pretty heavy so make sure your arm is capable of balancing them out - they are about 10.5g IIRC.

Tony.

TonyL, Jun 25, 2004
  3. Donut

Lt Cdr Data om

the mc15 is such a stupendous price for what it does, hugely fast detailed and neutral. I don't think a small upgrade would better it. It held its own with a rohmann, which wasn't worth the xtra £900 gulp!!
    spot on about the 103, my findings, too, great value, though. can't go wrong at all, again, not worth paying more for the rohmann IMO. I liked the rohmann a lot, but wouldn't pay that much new.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2004
    Lt Cdr Data, Jun 25, 2004
  4. Donut

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Got to agree with mr data here.

I had the MC15 super II before I went for the Kontrapunkt. I didnt hear them back to back (as I traded in) - but there wasnt that much of an improvement, and I was a little dissapointed by the similarity in the quality I got.

Im not convinced an extra 200 or so here is where its best spent from the system in your sig... I know it wasnt the question you asked, but if I were starting from where you're at, Id be looking at a beefy power amp... even if it will ruin the 'x' look of the kit on the shelves!

I hope you dont mind the suggestion.

Chris

bottleneck, Jun 25, 2004
  5. Donut

Donut

Thanks all - I'm going to stick with my MC15 - so that'll save me a few quid for more vinyl :)
    Donut

Donut, Jun 28, 2004
Ask a Question