Oscar Peterson

Discussion in 'General Music' started by michaelab, Sep 30, 2004.

1. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

I'm ashamed to admit, especially as an amateur pianist, that until recently all I knew about Oscar Peterson was that he was a jazz pianist.

Well, almost randomly I picked up the Verve re-master of Night Train the other day and was blown away.

So, in FNAC the other day I picked up this and this.

Just been listening to the solo live album and my god the guy can play :eek: . I'd put him up with the best pianists I've ever heard (including the classical greats). The fact that he was pretty much making it all up as he went along (apart from the basic "tune") just makes it even more impressive.

Soul Espanol is a bit different but I like it. Just shows how versatile he can be. Got to pick up some more of his stuff. I've also got to get a piano again :( . Been putting it off for far too long.

Michael.

michaelab, Sep 30, 2004
  2. michaelab

tones compulsive cantater

Agreed about Oscar Peterson. I have an old vinyl of "Night Train" and it's one of my favourite jazz records.

At one stage, Oscar did a show for the BBC, called "Oscar Peterson's Piano Party" on which he had a most eclectic group of guests, ranging from Rick Wakeman to Edward Heath (a reasonable amateur organist).

tones, Oct 1, 2004
  3. michaelab

johnhunt recidivist

i've a cpuple of old copies of night train. why two I don't know but it's a great record. i've also got a vinyl copy of op plays sinatra. it's pretty interesting and it's got loads of tracks on it. kinda like a ramones lp in that respect

johnhunt, Oct 1, 2004
Ask a Question