Overrated

Discussion in 'General Music' started by voodoo, Apr 2, 2004.

1. voodoo

voodoo OdD

"Incubus".

Anybody else think that they're really nothing to right home about ?
    Their current single is quite frankly just another example of pretty boy American rock at it's worst :rolleyes:.

Hell, I even have one of their albums - doesn't get much of a spinning.

voodoo, Apr 2, 2004
  2. voodoo

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I'd had several different people mention them to me saying they like them, and I should check them out and such.

Well, I've only seen them doing live stuff on tv (about 3 seperate times I think!), and have thought they sound a load of pants! Music by numbers. Predictable and been done to death. The singer came across as a bit of a tit too. Sure he's a great guy, but seemed like a poor mans Eddie Vedder.

Didn't do it for me at all.

Much like Muse, who I admit to not have given much of a chance, but don't rate them despite some claims of greatness.

MO!, Apr 2, 2004
  3. voodoo

voodoo OdD

I have to say I like Muse but they have been hyped to death recently.
    Worth seeing live :cool:.

voodoo, Apr 2, 2004
  4. voodoo

julian2002 Muper Soderator

damn,
    i'd got my hopes up that this was the perfect thread for me to have yet another pop at radiohead and the flaming lips, still what the hell... they're both f*cking awful too.

incubus you say? well i've never heard them but if you say you'd rather suck-a-bus than listen to them then furry muff.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Apr 2, 2004
  5. voodoo

MO! MOnkey`ead!

This is getting daft now!

Some of the opinions expressed by some forum members of late leaves me with little hope or faith in mankind.

Radiohead are class I tells ya!

It's easy to knock them for a)being too big now. b)preferred the MOre guitar rock sound, c) too experimental

Arse! They've done what others have failed to (see the Oasis thread) and pushed their music forward, and though their sound have expanded, they've managed to pull it off and make some of the greatest albums ever IM....... bollox. FACT :D

Bring on the poor disagreements!

I'm leaving for a lovely night shift now! I'll look forward to reading MOre dafty pants replies when I return.....

MO!, Apr 2, 2004
  6. voodoo

julian2002 Muper Soderator

mo,
    sorry but i'm not complaining about them on any of the grounds mentioned. i just don;t like their music and they are therefore arse. simple as... the same thing applies to the flaming lips, yoshimi... was touted as the best thing ever so i bought it and really tried to like it but i just don;t. again as simple as that.
    if you like them then fair enough just like i know people who really like incubus. its all SUBJECTIVE no matter how many blue curtains or blindfolds you use, you like what you like and that's it.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Apr 2, 2004
  7. voodoo

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Julian, that doesn't mean I can't have a giggle at you :)

Your logic is sound though, arse is arse.

MO!, Apr 3, 2004
  8. voodoo

juboy

Franz Ferdinand - absolute drivel.

juboy, Apr 5, 2004
  9. voodoo

voodoo OdD

Not bad IMO, but then again, I also like Radiohead and The Flaming Lips :p.

voodoo, Apr 5, 2004
  10. voodoo

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Incubus<>Spanish toad & Ferret Wankers

wadia-miester, Apr 5, 2004
  11. voodoo

badchamp Thermionic Member

For me... Kings of Leon, bought the album and found it almost without redemption, maybe 1 track worth listening to. Maybe I just didn't "get it" but did absolutey nothing for me. Shame cos I thought it was gonna be damn fine.:(

badchamp, Apr 5, 2004
  12. voodoo

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I'm quite partial to a bit of Kings Of Leon! At a time when my interest in new guitar based music is low, I was nicely suprised by their album.

As for Franz Ferdinand, (as someone who likes Radiohead quite a bit, and finds the Flaming Lips to sit somewhere between crap and great), I'd agree with them being pants. I've not heard the album, so I could be wrong. But what I have heard of them is pretty poor IMO.

One catchy riff and that's it. The singer doesn't do much for them I think. One catchy riff does not a good band makeuth.

MO!, Apr 5, 2004
  13. voodoo

lordsummit moderate mod

Quite like all the bands and albums mentioned, but who the feck are Incubus. Never heard of them. Guess that says it all

lordsummit, Apr 5, 2004
  14. voodoo

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

A few over-rated new bands who've been hyped a little bit.

Funeral For A Friend
    The Stands
    Jet

ilockyer, Apr 5, 2004
  15. voodoo

HenryT

Not "The Jets" then? ;) ;)

HenryT, Apr 5, 2004
  16. voodoo

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

:D No! Thankfully, and not an even more dire band that disappeared not quick enough called the Warm Jets...

what is this thing with bands being called The somethingorother? The The did it best some time ago!

ilockyer, Apr 6, 2004
  17. voodoo

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

The The had some great album covers too :)

The Jets - oh GOD - not them - 1987's "Crush on you" came on the cover of Look In as a flexidisc; my mate forcefed it to me using his folks' old Panasonic "music centre" - complete with piano-key cassette deck controls. Eeeek!!!!

This is the same mate who bought a Five Star album and tried to say it was the best ever, then got me the bloody Bros album for my birthday! Baaaaarfarama!

domfjbrown, Apr 7, 2004
  18. voodoo

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

The Jets? Are they actually rated then? (presumably being rated in the first place is a prerequisite for being overrated)

Those knocking the Flaming Lips - maybe its because I've seen em live a couple of times and they were absolutely gob smacking, that I'd rate them - must admit to rarely listening to their recorded efforts - but don't find it all that bad.

Radiohead the reverse for me. I rate their recorded stuff, but the last couple of times I've seen em live, they've been so boring as to wonder what on earth I was doing there. Looking around at all these other poeple in rapture and wandering "what the f**k??". Their recent recorded stuff is more er ... difficult than the classic stuff and has the advantage over a live performance that you can turn it off.

Uncle Ants, Apr 7, 2004
  19. voodoo

HenryT

Well, The Jets were similar in a lot of ways to Five Star, except they never made it as big of course, so it's not surprising to see them mentioned together. I've got "Crush On You" on one of my numerous 80s compilation albums, cheesey and a bit cringeworthy but catchy and foot tapingly enjoyable all the same! ;)

HenryT, Apr 7, 2004
  20. voodoo

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

I remember the Jets as well. They were an eight piece band made up of brothers & sisters. Their parents were from Tonga. The music was throwaway pop which went down well in the late 80s. I understand they are still going.

Also there was an English band called the Jets. They had hits in the early 80s. They were a 3 piece group playing Rock 'n' Roll style music.

To be overated, the artist or artists needs to be highly rated by people or the press during some stage of their career. They would have done something that was groundbreaking, very good, a big influence on things or had big hype. An overated act would then rest on those laurels, tread water, go downhill etc.

One of the most common things are bands getting hyped up as the next big thing, only to get shot down.

A months ago, Record Collector magazine did a tougue in cheek article on the most overrated acts. Off the top of my head, these included

David Bowie, John Lennon, James Brown, The Doors, Public Enemy, Frank Zappa & Captain Beefheart. It caused some heated debate in the magazine.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Apr 8, 2004
Ask a Question