Paging Gromett and Uncle Ants - NAS

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by JohnMak, Feb 26, 2005.

1. JohnMak

JohnMak

Hi Gromitt,
    I see you are an ex LP12 owner and just taken delivery of a Spacedeck.

I'm in a position where I WILL buy a new TT on March 7th on my way home to Australia (It's my last chance as I finish working abroad)

I was looking at:
    Scheu Premier - now not an option as the dealer has sold out.
    Spacedeck/Spacearm/MusicMaker/EraGold.

Now at the 11th hour a new LP12/EkosMkII/Akiva/LingoMkII/Linto has come up at a slightly reduced price.

However, the Spacedeck system is exactly half the cost of the Linn system I.e. NAS $6,000 all up, and the Linn is over $12,000 all up which is quite a bit more than I wanted to spend.

As a new Spacedeck owner and ex Linnie, I would really value your views and and of course those of any others who have heard both TT's.

Time is running out.

JohnMak, Feb 26, 2005
  2. JohnMak

Dexter

John,

Are you in the States or are you referring to Australian dollars? Where are you planning on making your purchase? Are you intending to use just the one dealer you made reference to?

Best, Dex

Dexter, Feb 26, 2005
  3. JohnMak

JohnMak

Hi Dexter,
    No, I'll be buying in Singapore .... Singapore Dollars
    Two different dealers.

Cheers,

JohnMak, Feb 26, 2005
  4. JohnMak

Gromit Buffet-blower

Hi John - been away all w/e so only just seen this.

I came to my NAS from an LP12 via a Gyro and rate the Spacedeck as better than both, certainly for what I want from my music. Firstly, it's a stunningly beautiful piece of kit and built like a tank. Sonically, it seems to have an iron grip on tempo - I've rarely if ever heard a TT which is so pitch-stable on solo piano music for example. This lends music a solidity and stability which is then allowed to flow naturally. Rhythmically I'd say it's easily in Linn territory but I fell it builds on this by having less of a one-coloured palette - whoever described the NAS as being the 'full-fat cream' struck an easily understood analogy.

I can't really comment on your arm/cartridge choices - the only NAS I've heard with the Music Maker was a Hadcock-armed Spacedeck at the Bristol show on friday. Unfortunately it sounded pretty awful due to the amp/speakers/dem conditions etc etc. Walrus really rate the Morch arms for the Spacedeck - or why don't you go for the Hyperspace?? Then the TT choice would be beyond doubt? ;)

Gromit, Feb 27, 2005
  5. JohnMak

JohnMak

Hi Gromit,
    Many thanks for the feedback and good to hear you're remaining positive over the NAS after this period of time.
    I am reassured by your feeling that the NAS gives nothing away to Linn in the "pace" department as I have had some tell me the NAS can sound "slow" and "dark".

I was interested in your comment from Walrus that they rate Morch arms on the NAS ..... so does the dealer I'm going through with the NAS. They are about $400 more than the Spacearm. Interesting.

BTW, did you read the excellent review in the Dec 2004 Hi Fi World about the Spacedeck/Haddock/MusiccMakerIII/Graham Slee Jazz Club. Even the eEditor chipped in to add his view at the end. They rated it very well on pace, rythym and explosive dynamics ..... stuff I love to hear.

Well - one week to go for me.

JohnMak, Feb 28, 2005
  6. JohnMak

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Heres my 2p -

The Hadcock and Morch are good unipivots, and unipivots seem to suit the deck well. Can't go far wrong there IMO.

The music maker II (haven't heard the III) is like a very good moving magnet, but with a bit more detail like a MC. Nice to be able to use the MM stage of the phono stage too which often helps the sound IMO.

The weight of the cart is on the lighter side of middling so it will work on most arms, including featherweight unipivots like the hadcock and morch.

The NAS s/deck does sound as pitch stable as I've heard. That is one of its key strengths I think. Whether you'll prefer it to another deck though is just down to preference of course.

The NAS does have strong competition at its price point and it would be a shame if you didnt get to do any comparative listening. Having said that it is a very good choice if you have no choice but buying blind.

I heard the latest generation of LP12 at the bristol show with Linn's 'Archiv' cartridge on the Linn demo. It certainly sounds very good when raised to the level this one had - it would make me now think about other changes like phono stages or cartridges if I had a decent LP12 and money to spend.

Just a few thoughts..

bottleneck, Feb 28, 2005
  7. JohnMak

JohnMak

Hi Bottleneck,
    Many thanks for the helpful feedback.
    Yes I am sure the latest incarnation of the Linn LP12/Ekos MkII/Akiva/Lingo Mk II and Linto would be a stunning set up. I used to have the LP12 with the first Ekos, Troika, Lingo with passive tri-amped Isobariks - using three LK140's plus Linn SPARK power supply on each one ......... whatever possessed me to sell it all sosme 12 years ago????

I loved the sound but the Linn prices have skyrocketed in the past few years to the point that it is now, at retail prices about 160% dearer than the NAS Spacedeck set up. (I'd love to have the Linn but I'd have a real hard sell with the "other half")

I really want another TT to access my old vinyl collection which has been in storage for 12 years, but I don't know if I want to spent $12,500 to do it when perhaps the Spacedeck will give me vinyl satisfaction at $6,000.
    All I'm after is sosmething that will play some of my LP's better than the CD copies of them I have subsequently bought. E.g Level 42, Steely Dan, Marcus Miller (showing my age huh) It was a dry, tight, punchy, explosively dynamic with sudden starts and stops ...... just like my old Linn system used to do.

JohnMak, Feb 28, 2005
  8. JohnMak

blakeaudio

"Level 42 (showing my age huh)" - and your dodgy taste in tunes...

blakeaudio, Feb 28, 2005
  9. JohnMak

JohnMak

Hi blakeaudio,
    Hmmm'n is that a sensible or relevant response???
    You've got me beat mate?
    Maybe I miss the subtley of your email?
    Sorry.

JohnMak, Feb 28, 2005
  10. JohnMak

lordsummit moderate mod

Nothing wrong with liking Level 42. I'm prone to listening to the odd bout, and one of the worlds finest women Helen Chamberlain is a massive fan.......

Diversity is the key here Blake. If we all liked what you liked what a boring place it would be.

lordsummit, Feb 28, 2005
  11. JohnMak

blakeaudio

just taking the mickey... was only meant in fun. :rolleyes: seemed like the obvious response to john's assertion that his selections indicated his age... :D no offence intended. if one can't jest over something like level42, then me thinks people are a little to sensitive. ;)

blakeaudio, Feb 28, 2005
  12. JohnMak

blakeaudio

unless, of course, you are also level42 admirers..... :duck:

blakeaudio, Feb 28, 2005
  13. JohnMak

JohnMak

Hi blakeaudio,
    I figured it was a jest, I just couldn't get it ... no matter, no offence.

Last month, I mail ordered a bunch of Level 42 CD's through Amazon - one of them was the demo LP of every hi fi dealer in London when I lived there in the early 80's
    (I live and work in Vietnam now so have to buy everything through Amazon)
    I was really looking forward to hearing them ....... what a disappointment after living with the LP versions for years and years. It's odd that some CD's can sound so good but others, especially re-issues of the great demo LP's of yester-year sound so crap by comparison to vinyl. I have so many CD's that sound like this and it's not nostalgia.

JohnMak, Feb 28, 2005
  14. JohnMak

Gromit Buffet-blower

John - this talk of Level 42 made me dig out my vinyl copy of 'The Pursuit of Accidents'. Superb album - some excellent playing from when (in my humble opinion) the band were pretty much at their best. Laavely :)

Oh...grooved like a good'un on the NAS too :)

Gromit, Feb 28, 2005
  15. JohnMak

JohnMak

Hey Grommit,
    Great to hear that the NAS did it good .....
    When I heard the Spacedeck in Singapore, I was very impressed with it's silent background and its ability to give a very organic sound to acoustic instruments and especially the way it reproduced the decay of notes within their acoustic environment - I don't recall noticing this particular aspect of sound even with my old fully tricked LP12.

But I really wanted to hear it with some funky, explosive bass I.e. Level 42/ Marcus Miller (How cool is Tutu on vinyl - all the CD's of it are pathetically wimpy) So your comments about Level 42 on the NAS are particularly meaningful to me .... God I love their funky bass playing. Power leading-edge sound (I read in a mag the other day that bass notes have no leading edge - what the hell do reviewers know) dynamic, explosive and what a "groove"
    Even at my age, I love it.

JohnMak, Feb 28, 2005
  16. JohnMak

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

I went from a very good LP12 (Cirkus / Zeta / home-made Armageddon) to the Spacedeck / Spacearm. The NA is definitely not slow; it's pace department is present and very correct IMHO. It just does things slightly different than the Linn, though it's hard to explain what I mean. Tempo is realistically portrayed, fast sounds fast, slow sounds slow, nothing sounds like it is rushing or dragging unless the music dictates that it should. Pitch stability is in a different league to any deck I have ever owned (Xerxes / several LP12s / Rega P9 etc). Solo piano really works, and because of this any records with the centre hole slightly eccentric become more obviously 'wrong' as the benchmark for what is 'right' has just been lifted.

The Spacedeck definitely goes deeper down in the bass, and the top end is there, though is so remarkably free of tizz / noise. Until one becomes acclimatised to this different presentation it could give an impression of being 'dark'. My personal view is that the treble is all there and intact, the hash / noise is not. It is an astoundingly quiet deck – I actually find it very hard to grade some of the records I sell as I know they will appear far noisier on many other peoples decks.

The LP12 remains one of my favourite decks; a good example with a good arm and cart which is well set up is a true benchmark. The Spacedeck certainly does things differently, but is no worse in any way and far better IMHO in some areas.

Tony.

TonyL, Feb 28, 2005
  17. JohnMak

Gromit Buffet-blower

Tony's summed up the Space pretty well - especially re the piano thing. None of my previous tt's have had its almost uncanny lack of wavering on a struck piano note. It sounds like a matter of small importance but it has a very marked effect on all the music which is played.

John - now I'm going to have to listen to Tutu tomorrow. Marcus at his thwacking-leading-edge best. :)

As to the NAS's overall musical protrayal, to add to what Tony's said the Spacedeck has lots of density to its sound yet can be quick and fleet of foot if the disc it's playing requires. This evening I've been listening to Eva Cassidy, The Smiths, Chick Corea and Faure and not once did the deck get in the way.

Gromit, Feb 28, 2005
  18. JohnMak

Stuart

John - at half the price of the LP12, the NAS appears to be a firm 'buy' recommendation. I'd love to hear one given all the great write ups it gets on the fora, but couldn't be arsed going to Sydney for a demo - at least not whilst my LP12 is in rude health.

Stuart, Mar 1, 2005
  19. JohnMak

JohnMak

Hi Stuart,
    I didn't even know they were available in Australia. I searched the internet and couldn't find any retailers.
    Do you have any idea what they cost in Oz?

I'm planning to pick mine up in Singapore on the way back to Brisbane - after 9 years living and working in Vietnam.

Singapore prices. (converted to AUD)
    Spacedeck and Spacearm $3,120 AUD
    Music Maker Mk III $1,170 AUD
    Graham Slee EraGold $ 936 AUD
    Plus of course a 3% VAT rebate when I take it out of the country.

Even though it may not be as good as the fully tricked LP12, I suspect it is going to be highly satisfying and leave a lot of cash to buy new vinyl with.
    (My God, am I controlling ny buyers lust for once and comming over all sensible and practical?)

JohnMak, Mar 1, 2005
  20. JohnMak

Stuart

John,

NAS are sold in Australia by Scientific Design in Sydney. From memory, the Space Deck & Space Arm combo is $4,000 AUD. Don't know if this pricing is still current or even if I recall this correctly from a conversation with Jurek last year some time. The Graham Slee phono stages and Music Maker cart. are also sold here. Try Decibel HiFi in Brisbane for example.

Looks as though you'll save a bit buying in Singapore - enough I'd assume to still come out ahead after shipping charges etc.

Given the substantial price differential between the Linn and the NAS, the Spacedeck would appear to be a no-brainer decision. Just think how many LPs you could buy with the money saved!

Have you checked with any Australian Linn dealers on current LP12 pricing or only Singapore dealers? Linn distribution changed here on the 1st of January - I believe Linn have taken over distribution here from the previous company. Don't know if this has had any impact on local Linn pricing - doubtful but you never know.

Regards,

Stuart.

Stuart, Mar 1, 2005
Ask a Question