PC desktop speakers B & W MM-1 failure please help

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by revahi, Aug 2, 2022.

1. revahi

revahi

Good day to you all.
    I have enjoyed my PC desktop speakers for 10 years now.
    The right speaker get very hot on top and then fails after a couple of hours of use (flashing red led and no sound)
    I believe there faulty caps that need to be changed.
    If someone could point me in the right direction, obtaining the right value capacitors and any other related issues I would be most grateful
    thank you for your time.

revahi, Aug 2, 2022
  2. revahi

Sergeauckland

You'll have to find a service manual for that information. I've looked on-line and haven't found anything so don't know if one was ever published. I suspect that a product like the MM-1 wasn't made to be repaired, as it would have used surface mount components and programmable chips for the logic functions. Repair would be done by replacement of whole boards.

Your best bet is to get inside the box and look for components that look overheated and/or bulging capacitors and replace like for like.

My guess is that it'll be a thankless task, and you could spend a lot of time and a certain amount of money and still not get the item back working reliably. Overheating isn't likely to be capacitors in any event, more likely a failing or failed semiconductor but it might be obvious when you get inside.

Good luck.

S

Sergeauckland, Aug 2, 2022
Ask a Question