Perp Tech P3A + P1A + Monolithic PSU on eBay

Discussion in 'Classified Adverts' started by michaelab, Sep 17, 2003.

1. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

michaelab, Sep 17, 2003
  2. michaelab

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Worth a put here boys, tis good fair price too :) and just minor tweeking to turn form good into rather good (op-amps in the P3) and some P3a power mods.
    If any of you guys buy it I have an Audio magic I2S cable to enable 192khz if you wish £80 ono go on you know you want to.WM

wadia-miester, Sep 17, 2003
  3. michaelab

NOS-4-A2 Creature of the night

Has anyone listend to the Perp Tech setup back to back with a DAC64? I'd love to know how they compare.

NOS-4-A2, Sep 17, 2003
  4. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Me too :)

Michael.

michaelab, Sep 17, 2003
  5. michaelab

So Michael, are you going to buy it or am I, just to satisfy our curiosity? (and who's going to explain that to the wife);)

NOS-4-A2, Sep 18, 2003
  6. michaelab

Mike areadys knows this Tom, But add an upsampler/src to the dac 64 and it ceratins goes up a notch or 2.
    The Pet Tech combo is very good, I perfer over the 64, but they can be improved further for not too much dosh, plus you can use the I2S interface :). A good money buy WM

wadia-miester, Sep 18, 2003
  7. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Tom - I'm completely skint at the moment so no can do. Also, the wife thinks my DAC64 cost "the same as my DAC20 - it was a swap, honest..." :D

If you did buy it I think you could probably sell it on for the same amount though...

Michael.

michaelab, Sep 18, 2003
  8. michaelab

I'm always a bit dubious about upsamplers - surely they introduce more jitter and are only as good as the interpolation software?

NOS-4-A2, Sep 18, 2003
  9. michaelab

I'm in the same boat having just had my RLD-1 improved to revision A status by Steve McCormac. (I just didn't tell my wife how much the DAC64 cost - I hope she doesn't read his board):MILD:

NOS-4-A2, Sep 18, 2003
  10. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

The Monarchy upsampler allegedly also massively reduces jitter. The jury is still not 100% decided on the Monarchy :eek: Yes, I like it, but three things about it concern me:

1). It's upsampling to 96kHz. That isn't a direct multiple of 44.1kHz so there must be some form of interpolation going on and, from a purists point of view, you're getting further away from what was on the CD to start with.

2). How well does the DAC64 cope with a 24bit/96kHz signal? Does it function equally well at all frequencies or was it optimized for 16/44.1? The time delay when using the 4s buffer reduces to about 2s (becuase of the increased amount of data presumably) - is that affecting the buffer's ability to reduce jitter?

3). The DAC64 seems to be running a lot hotter when using the Monarchy than it used to. Now that may well be because we're going through another heat wave here (it's 30deg indoors, even at 22:30 at night :eek: ) but it could be the DAC is doing more work.

The proof of the pudding though is in the eating and I want to hold off any final judgement until I get my Teac T1 here. Then I'll do a proper evaluation of whether the Monarchy is really worth having in the chain or not.

Michael.

michaelab, Sep 18, 2003
  11. michaelab

Clearly, yes but I guess you've got to go back to the question of whether it sounds better (to you of course)

Interesting thought, I hadn't considered that

My DAC64 is never switched off and even here at 22 degrees it still runs so hot that it's quite umpleasant to touch. Hasn't started smoking yet though ;)

I look forward to your thoughts on the monarchy when you get it set up.

NOS-4-A2, Sep 19, 2003
  12. michaelab

All of them run very hot, mine was exactly the same, until you bypass the SMPS and run external PSU.

wadia-miester, Sep 19, 2003
  13. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Ah - so your's runs as hot as mine, that's reassuring - I won't let it worry me any more :)

Weekend of Oct 4/5 is when I'll have the T1 back here and I'll let you know what I think about the Monarchy. Certainly using my old Marantz CD50SE (with a Trichord digital output board) it's an improvement.

The other issue I forgot to mention of course is now you've got two digital cables and all the potential variations that can bring!

Michael.

michaelab, Sep 19, 2003
Ask a Question