Phase - balanced connections Europe and USA

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by alanbeeb, Apr 24, 2005.

1. alanbeeb

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

Been wondering about this.
    My amp has European standard balanced XLR inputs.
    If I use a CD player with US standard balanced outputs, in which the hot and cold pins are the other way around, what will this mean? Does it mean the phase is reversed?

Does this matter anyway?

alanbeeb, Apr 24, 2005
  2. alanbeeb

yogus

My preamp has a toggle that reverses absolute phase and I can't tell the difference.

Mind you, I can't tell the difference b/w the balanced and single-ended connections on my amp and I can't tell much of a difference between cables, so I could be deaf. :D

yogus, Apr 25, 2005
  3. alanbeeb

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Balanced connections don't use a hot and a cold as you say, but a signal (+), a signal (-) and a shield. One is inverted at source. At the receiving end this is reinverted and added to the other, cancelling any noise common to the two and doubling the signal. Since adding is commutative, it shouldn't make any difference swapping them except that if the receiving end has + and - swapped the wrong one will be inverted, making the signal then inverted, as you say.

I had to say that out loud to see if I agree with you :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2005
    SteveC, Apr 25, 2005
Ask a Question