Phono-amp options

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by johnfromnorwich, Feb 14, 2007.

1. johnfromnorwich

johnfromnorwich Tannerd.

I promised myself that I wouldn't be buying any more kit for a while, but I'm in need of a replacement cartridge – it will almost certainly be a Denon DL-110. However, I now find myself contemplating my cheap and cheerful phono amp. It's a Creek OBH-8 (MM only) that I originally had to partner a Planar3/Cyrus 5 combo. I was wondering if I couldn't do a little better. On small group acoustic music and most electronica everything sounds pretty fine, but rock seems to suffer from a kind of 'funnelling' or congestion and with orchestral music, the upper mids can be a bit on the harsh side (strings in particular suffer here).

I'd prefer MM/MC for future flexibility and I'm happy to go s/h. I've been hanging on (and hanging on) for the long mooted WD Phono3 but there's still no sign of a launch date…so any suggestions? Music tastes are pretty broad....erm...fire away.

Gyro/Orbe Kit/OL RB300 > Creek OBH8 > Glasshouse TVC > WAD 6550 > MA GR10.

johnfromnorwich, Feb 14, 2007
  2. johnfromnorwich

Dik Dolan

I have a similar system to yours John, Gyrodec with orbe kit, sme4 and lyra dorian, glasshouse tvc and glasshouse 300b amp, into ipl s3 pseakers. My phonostage is an EAR 834p which drives the tvc fine. I also have been waiting for news on the WD phono, and have been looking at the k&k phono kit, but every time I put a record on I think "this does sound damn good"... The EAR is definately a phonostage you should keep an ear out for.

Dik Dolan, Feb 14, 2007
  3. johnfromnorwich

nando nando

my opinion as far as phono stages go value for money and excelent sound and also match any m.m. m.c. are the pro-ject phono's stages.nando

nando, Feb 14, 2007
Ask a Question