Photography help

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MO!, Oct 5, 2005.

1. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I've been trying to take some pic's of my brothers gigs. It generaly turns into a full night out, so I don't want to be carrying a full size camera about with me, so tend to take the Nikon Coolpix 5200.

The problem is how to go about it. Without flash, there tends to be a lot of blur, if not from camera shake, then from things moving on stage. Switching the flash on helps sharpen things up, but overpowers the stage lighting and kills the atMOsphere of the shot.

I'd considered a mini pod, but that's only really going to help with camera shake. How do I get a sharp picture when things are MOving on stage, but not having to use the flash?

Or am I just hoping for too much from a compact?

MO!, Oct 5, 2005
  2. MO!

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I'm afraid you're hoping for too much from a compact.

In that situation you need a fast lens (F1.4 or faster pref) and high sensitivity (ISO1600 or 3200). Neither of which you'll find on a compact (ok, fuji just came out with one with ISO1600, but on the tiny sensors used in compacts it's just going to give you more noise than anything).

I-S, Oct 5, 2005
  3. MO!

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

My wifes Pentax digital has night time mode on it which to be fair had a stab in the dark and it wasn't too bad.

garyi, Oct 5, 2005
  4. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I'll give night MOde a go next time. I'd have thought it simply changes the ISO to max, and changes the flash? There's no apperture/shutter controls that I'm aware of.

MO!, Oct 5, 2005
  5. MO!

Saab

Stick without flash,and try and be creative with the camera shake,it can look good.

Or soften the flash if the camera has manual settings by opening up the lense

Saab, Oct 6, 2005
  6. MO!

Anex Thermionic

The night modes I've tried are apperture :confused:

Anex, Oct 6, 2005
  7. MO!

michaelab desafinado

The night mode on my K750i camera phone appears to dramatically reduce the shutter speed to the point it's almost impossible to take a shot without visible shake.

michaelab, Oct 6, 2005
  8. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

The thing is, he's a solo (MOstly) performer. Just acoustic and vocals. Sits on a stool and plays. So, where as with someone MOre lively on stage, you can perhaps use the blur to show MOtion and energy etc... I'm not really sure how to do so with him.

MO!, Oct 7, 2005
  9. MO!

Anex Thermionic

I noticed that on mine, mind you I'm not impressed with the camera anyway

Anex, Oct 7, 2005
  10. MO!

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

You could try to get hold of one of the compacts with image stabilization like Panasoic FX-7, IIRC. They claim this lets you take pics in lower lls without flash. If you want to get one just for the event, I'll buy it off you afterwards if the price is right :)

SteveC, Oct 7, 2005
  11. MO!

michaelab desafinado

I'm extremely impressed with the camera! Clearly I'm not about to sell my Olympus E-10 but the K750i is an excellent little point & shoot and handy simply by virtue of the fact that it's always with me.

I've had a few K750i shots printed and most people would struggle to tell they weren't taken by a "proper" camera.

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 7, 2005
  12. MO!

Anex Thermionic

Don't know if its just mine then but the pics are extremely noisy, loads of colour banding in darker shots and it takes the pic a full second after you press the button. I know its a phone but they sell it as being a really good camera

Anex, Oct 7, 2005
  13. MO!

michaelab desafinado

Forget low light shots where it's very poor but otherwise I find it really rather good. That type of shutter lag is not uncommon on lower end consumer digicams. It's head and shoulders above any other phone camera.

See here for a random selection of K750i shots (refresh the page for a new selection).

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 7, 2005
  14. MO!

Hex Spurt

Soften the flash with a bit of diffuser taped over the reflector.

As a more portable alternative to a monopod make a tensioned cable. Attach a piece of string to a tripod screw. If you plan to use the camera when standing then make the string long enough to reach the floor, then put a footsized loop in the end. Use the loop like a stirrup. Put the camera to your eye to put tension on the string. Voila! You have now steadied your camera but you still have mobility to follow the action. When you've finished you can just ball the string up and stuff it in your pocket - no bulky monopod to carry to the after gig party. :D

Hex Spurt, Oct 9, 2005
Ask a Question