Pieces of Music that don't really do it for you

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by alanbeeb, Jan 26, 2005.

1. alanbeeb

Manic

theyre..... just...............
    well...........

yuck

Manic, Mar 26, 2006
  2. alanbeeb

McLogan

I'm always interested in threads like this, wherein some posters simply cannot comprehend anyone not liking their particular musical preference(s).

I like Mahler, Verdi, Janacek, Shostakovich, Wagner, etc etc, but if anyone can't stand this music, fine by me.

I loath baroque, harpsicords and most of Mozart, but if that moves your earth, that's also fine by me.

As with religious views (or the lack of them) - I'm not going to try and convert you to my views so don't try and convert me to yours.

McLogan, Mar 27, 2006
  3. alanbeeb

Joe

Well, quite. But it's important (I've found) to re-visit prejudices/dislikes from time to time to make sure they're still valid. I live in hope that one day I will 'get' opera!

Joe, Mar 27, 2006
  4. alanbeeb

Rodrigo de Sá This club's crushing bore

Dear McLogan:

I may be quite mistaken, but I fail to see someone thrashing your tastes or trying to proselytize you to baroque. It is true there is a kind of old music core here. But then, so what? There are also other kind of music lovers.

When I ask why does one dislike the harpsichord, I do so out of curiosity, because I think it is a marvellous instrument. Or, for instance, when one says the E major Bach violin concerto is like a sewing machine, I just cannot understand because it seems quite lyrical to me.

Also, there is a background to this forum. Most remarks like 'you barbarian' are made tongue in cheek. Most members know each other for a long time and therefore are sometimes playful.

But there are all sorts of people, here, from the high brow to the impertinent little elves.

But really, if I took offence every time someone ignored or even scorned at my musical preferences, I would have left long ago.

Finally, I actually think this thread is interesting because it allows us to have a clearer understanding of other members musical 'profiles'. If someone tells me he loves Beethoven and loathes Brahms, I have a better understanding of his or her tastes than if he or she just stated 'I love Beethoven'.

So I hope you will continue to contribute. Diversity is welcome, as I think you said.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2006
    Rodrigo de Sá, Mar 27, 2006
  5. alanbeeb

Rodrigo de Sá This club's crushing bore

Dear Manic:

Might I suggest that you listen to a live harpsichord? Or try, say, the mellower ones, like Rousset's in the French Suites?

I say this because harpsichord sound is very difficult to record (all sound is, but harpsichord may sound harsh, which it is not). Of course, if you love the piano, the clarinet, and softness in general, the harpsichord sound may be not for you. However, it has many possibilities that a piano has not.

Once you discover its strenghts, you may be able to listen differently. And there are such magic harpsichordists! Take the WTC: if you have not listened to Leonhardt's you will truly miss one of the greater versions ever recorded.

Good listening!

Rodrigo de Sá, Mar 27, 2006
  6. alanbeeb

Manic

Lol, I'll remember to be on the look out for performances, and for some (very) cheap cd's.....
    however, I remain sceptical...

Manic, Mar 30, 2006
Ask a Question