Pioneer A400 with Rega Kytes?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by PBirkett, Sep 2, 2003.

1. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

My mate is after some new speakers for his amplifier which is a Pioneer A400, with a Terratec EWX24/96 soundcard as source. He primarily listens to dance music in a very small (ie shoebox) sized room.

He has seen some Rega Kytes on ebay. I was wondering if this sounds like an ok combo. I dont know a great deal about the Kytes, except that people seem to like them.

Anyone care to comment?

PBirkett, Sep 2, 2003
  2. PBirkett

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hiya!

Theres a comment that hifi world used to put next to their classifieds, in their instructions for buyers... I always thought it was equally poigniant for e-bay, in fact for any occasion where you haven't tried what you're thinking of buying in advance...its saved me a couple of times..

hang on a minute, I'll go get an old issue..

''Have you heard the item, or something similar? If not, why do you want it?''

Very sage words I always thought, and seriously mate, Id reccomend a home demo for your mate the same as I would for anyone... like my answer to Rob on his speaker question - get a few speakers and try them at home, tis the only way...

You owe it to your mate to tell him what you already know! (and I know you know that! lol)

Good luck to him, anyway.

NB I heard some Tannoy 609's standmounts sounding nice with a pioneer A400 once, but that means nothing, he should do the listening I reckon

:)

bottleneck, Sep 2, 2003
  3. PBirkett

Mr Perceptive

Buying s/h

However if you buy s/h and don't pay madly over the odds for something you're not sure about, then you get the chance to try them out at home for a while, if they don't gel, then flog them off again (on eBay at a profit??)

Paul, as the room is small do the speakers have to go against a wall?

Is your freind looking for something thats fast or does he want loads of bass?

If he wants the former and can mount them 8"-12" from the wall preferably on stands, I have some MS10i's that are just great at boogying, not quite good low down bass control but fast. I used to use them with good effect on the end of a Naim 62/140.

If he want bass that is controlled you need to look at bigger drivers.

If you mate is interested in the MS10i's send me some mail

I have bought a lot of stuff s/h recently and most if not all of it at execellent prices. I can sleep easy knowing I can recoup my money in a few days on ePay!!!
    Mr Perceptive

Mr Perceptive, Sep 2, 2003
  4. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

He does want a fast sound (so he says), and they may well have to go close to walls, I have told him this much, although whether he really knows what he wants is another question, I have recommended auditioning, but he seems determined to go down the second hand route.

My suggestions were the Wharfedale Evo's, or possibly Tannoy's, and he likes the look of them, but I dont really know how much he is willing to spend.

PBirkett, Sep 2, 2003
  5. PBirkett

Rory satisfied

whats wrong with his diamond 8.2s Paul?

the Kytes iirc will be too bass light for him, as well as the MS10is (there, I've said it- not recommended MSs for once :eek: )

the Tannoy 609s are great sounding, as are Tannoy M2s, M2.5s which i'd suggest to him if i were you(can't remember his name)

Rory, Sep 2, 2003
  6. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Ever since he brought his PC up mine with his soundcard in to try on my amp and speakers, he's been going on about wanting new speakers ever since ;) :D

PBirkett, Sep 3, 2003
  7. PBirkett

lordsummit moderate mod

The Kytes are awesome speakers, very fast, very precise. Superb at conveying atmosphere in acoustic and classical music, very accurate in their portrayal of instruments, capable of a terrific soundstage if you get them on the right speaker stands I have mine on Linn Kann stands and they so sound top. But I tend towards the flat earth, I've got them matched with a Linn Intek amp and Rega P3. What they don't do is lots of bass. The bass that's there is perfectly ample so long as you don't want to shake the roof. But you won't get the sort of smack you in the face (dare I say boomy) sound you get off other speakers in their price range. They do need driving, My Linn does a better job than the Quad 33/303's I have knocking around, but I think that they are a classic case of a speaker that sounds better the better the rig behind it. The new Rega speakers use the same drivers and one of my Naimie friends uses the Elya's I think it is. They don't sound outclassed. These are £500 speakers with the same drivers.
    If you pay a fair price you will get your money back, anywhere up to about £85. Mine were brand new and boxed never used and they were £120. I'd go for it. They are sought after particularly by Naimies and Linnies for their systems and you will get your money back should you want to.

lordsummit, Sep 3, 2003
  8. PBirkett

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Another thumbs up for Kytes here - off my Audiolab 8000A (similar balance to the A400) then Naim NAIT3, they kicked arse in the Reading system. They are not fans of rough sources though.

They were able to hammer out Infected Mushroom's B.P.Empire the day I got it - at fairly high volume - with no real complaints. Sure the bass isn't huge, but it's VERY well defined, so for psy-trance and techno at least, they made me want to boogie even if the b-line wasn't that phat - it's all in the drums and layering on psy-trance I find, and the Kytes love that.

Shame they're only on as rear surrounds on my main rig now really - they're far better than my MS25i's I've got in the bedroom system now I'm in Exeter - even though the MS25is have more bass....

I'd say go for them - but pay no more than £70 including postage - they were under £200 when new!

domfjbrown, Sep 4, 2003
Ask a Question