Pioneer A445??

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by mutant, Jan 17, 2004.

1. mutant

mutant

Anyone know anything about this amp? I bought it a while back, and very nice it is too (i'm not interested in high end, it would be wasted on me). Thing is, i cant find any info on it ANYWHERE. Didn't come with a manual, and i can't be bothered sending off for one in the US. From what i can tell, its a higher model than a 400, having recording source selector, A/B speakers inputs, and all tone controls.

Anyone?

mutant, Jan 17, 2004
  2. mutant

mutant

anybody?

mutant, Jan 18, 2004
  3. mutant

timpy Snake Oil free!!!

Oh dear, sorry to burst your bubble but......

It's not a higher model than an A400, and in fact it isn't even in the same ball park performance wise. The A445 was a fairly typical and rather bright Jananese amp from 12-15 years ago IIRC. The A400 was quite a bit special, whilst the A445 was much more run of the mill. It weighed in at £165 I believe.

Glad your happy with it though, they are very reliable and it will probably work for many more years to come. If you're looking to upgrade at some point though, then there are many candidates, even s/h (an A400 for instance) that would form a useful improvement.

Cheers

timpy, Jan 19, 2004
  4. mutant

mutant

cheers, i was just going on the info the guy i bought it from gave me, regarding the higher model bit. Still, sounds good enough to me, even though im running a shit cd player through it :)

Just out of interest, what is it about the A400 that is better? Components used, better made?

Thanks

Lee

mutant, Jan 19, 2004
  5. mutant

Semaphorian

Same transformer, same branded series electrolytic capacitors and amount, same mother board construction, very similar everything...! with only subtle difference's and importantly the A445 sound's great as well, matching with also.. a very wide range of speakers.... a sure thing in my opinion. The A445 has a higher rated T.H.D than the A400.
    wondering if anybody knows the rated damping factor for the A445....?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    Semaphorian, Nov 17, 2017
    rocksteady likes this.
  6. mutant

Bob59

Can't believe people say the A445
    is not as good as the A400. I went by the hype in Hifi mags and bought the A400 thinking to upgrade from the A445, what a mistake. Sold the 400 and even tried the 400X the later one and again disappointed and sold that. I set them up with the same speakers, cables and interconnects and cd and TT and the 445 was much better. Now 20 years on still using it and it sounds fine. Don't be fooled by the hype.

Bob59, Dec 17, 2022
    rocksteady likes this.
Ask a Question