Posh mains leads or isolation transformers/filters?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by MartinC, Oct 6, 2003.

1. MartinC

MartinC Trainee tea boy

[If you think mains treatments are a load of crap then please just ignore]

I was just wondering if there was any sort of consensus on the relative merits of using either HiFi mains leads or isolation transformers? I get the feeling that lot's of peoples first foray into the world of mains treatments is via some sort of mains lead, since as a one off purchase these can be got more cheaply. Is this the right starting point though? If you were looking to sort out your mains from scratch, which route would you take, or would it be a combination of the two?

MartinC, Oct 6, 2003
  2. MartinC

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

just wondered if anyones tried these? cant seem to recall anyone mentioning them before.

http://www.triode-systems.com/shop_filters.htm

On the original question, I havent tried enough mains transformers and the like to say which gives more performance, that or the mains leads, or in fact spurs etc

Cheers
    Chris

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2003
    bottleneck, Oct 6, 2003
  3. MartinC

merlin

If I were starting from scratch with a blank piece of paper, I'd be straight onto the MOD and order up some used Submarine Batteries, to be housed in the garage.

Failing that, I guess seperate spurs for digital and analogue electronics can help

merlin, Oct 6, 2003
  4. MartinC

defiant

At the end of the day mate everyone has their own opinion on the matter.

My experience is a positive one. I use just a PS Audio Powerplant 300, soon to be a 500, and I have to say that the benefits to me are audible.

But to me, when the P300 was not there the system would at times sound fantastic. At other times it would sound bloody awful. There is a consistency now that wasn't there before, as well as audible benefits in other areas.

Just my tuppence.

Ben

defiant, Oct 7, 2003
  5. MartinC

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Ben, did you buy any of your gear from John Carter ?

wadia-miester, Oct 7, 2003
  6. MartinC

defiant

No mate - Why do you ask??

I have to admit I plaguarised his classifieds ads regarding the Nordost and the P300. ;)

Ben

defiant, Oct 7, 2003
  7. MartinC

Hi Ben, just the usual route taken 1200c/e/nordost/dcs usualy with JM labs/Revel's, why are you selling the SPM & the chord ?, I must admit, I found them hard when I had that combo, try some AU 24, it may help, or you just going for the big boy 12000 ? :)
    Out of interest what power lead do you use going into the M/W ?, they can recieve a serious hike in performance with a good lead. WM

8. MartinC

defiant

John's a good friend of mine actually. :D :D

Walking hi-fi textbook that guy. Really quite amazing.

My route has been similar and dis-similar to his. Every story is unique as they say. But the dCS front end cannot be argued with. I run that through the Wilson Benesch ACT1 loudspeaker. The latter I feel is very well suited to the Chord/SPM combination. The ACT1 is very very smooth as a speaker and there is definitely a synergy there that was not present with other speakers. I'm not surprised you couldn't live with the combination, but speaker choice I think is very important in the overall sound. What were you running at the time??

Tried Linns :)confused: ), and Pro-Ac 2.5's before the ACT1. Love the WB's to bits and will not be changing them for a long while.

Selling the Chord (though having 2nd doubts about that as I listen to Ella) and going the Spectral route (there are issues in my system not running a pre-amp I feel). SPM to Valhalla actually.

Was listening to Emmylous Harris' 'Wrecking Ball' last night and the leaner nature of the system reared its ugly head. This I feel was as much to do with the recording of the cover track. For example the first track on the album sounds very 'analogue' compared to 'Wrecking Ball'. I feel that the move to the Valhalla will aid this to an extent...Any tips as always appreciated.

Ben

defiant, Oct 7, 2003
  9. MartinC

No pre-amp, man after my own heart :), Valhalla I found to harsh at the top, fast yes, but brash also, but does differ from system and speaker selection for sure, the spectral DC 30? pre I have used it, tis good, is it worth the dosh, if you have the cash then, you don't have to ask!!!!! (I can't afford it for sure)
    You could try HMS Grand Fin II thats a good mix of the 2, but the wooden boxes do look a little gay, if like the naturaliness, the AU 24 is better than Valhalla, but not as fast or as totaly dynamic, but a far better trade off I found.
    Can't do hifi though, much perfer music, life over presentation for me anyday. so my needs are very different fron the hifi guys, Do you not find the PS audio relieves the dynamics of the system ?, Have you guys not thought of importing them direct, saves a packet you, plus you get all the lastest stuff quicker.
    My brother did the same route, he uses Spectral amps now, and Egglestone works speakers, DCS, he now runs a 270se, 27ix(GNSC statement mods plus outboard psu's) , instead of the dcs, although in firewire mode it runs the clear audio M/R pretty bloody close, way out my depth I'm afraid :rolleyes: Wm

10. MartinC

MO! MOnkey`ead!

LMAO! How elegently put!

:kneel:

MO!, Oct 8, 2003
  11. MartinC

HenryT

Hi Defiant,

Interesting point about running with/without pre amps. I wonder if this is a dCS/Wadia owner thing, or just personal preferenes for the type of sound that we want, regardless the brand of equipment that we use e.g. those that always find digital or red book CD too stark and prefer an analog volume stage and the colouration that that may bring to be preferable to the degradation that a digital volume control may bring (OK I know that in theory digital volume controls especially the one in the Wadia's are supposed to be totally transparent).

I'm a dCS owner as well and prefer to run with a pre amp too, not only because I run other sources apart from CD, but because that's just the way I prefer it. IMHO, though, I still think digital volume controls are at the best when used towards the top of their range.

HenryT, Oct 12, 2003
Ask a Question