Power Amp

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by Munkeyboi_Wilde, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Munkeyboi_Wilde

Munkeyboi_Wilde

Does anyone have any info on the principles of power amp design?

I am looking to design and build my own power amp from scratch. Any help would be much appreciated.

Munkeyboi_Wilde, Dec 4, 2003
  2. Munkeyboi_Wilde

tom123

3. Munkeyboi_Wilde

Lt Cdr Data om

well if you have to ask.....

read doug selfs book, and randy slone, the best 2 books on tranny amp design there are.
    john linsley hood, too

Lt Cdr Data, Dec 9, 2003
  4. Munkeyboi_Wilde

Munkeyboi_Wilde

Cheers peeps, much appreciated :)

Munkeyboi_Wilde, Dec 10, 2003
  5. Munkeyboi_Wilde

Andrew L Weekes

Yep, good references, but don't expect them to tell you how to make a good sounding amp.

Self misses the point by a long way.

My advice read lots, but take nothing on trust and analyse exactly what you are doing. There's rarely any gain without pain and whilst improving one bit, you're often worsening another - use your ears, this is where Self goes wrong ;)

Whilst I'm at it my advice is start low power, single ended class A, then work from there - you'll soon hear where things start to go wrong, at which point you will then be forced to understand why. Amps with push-pull output stages are much harder to get right.

Andy.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2003
    Andrew L Weekes, Dec 16, 2003
  6. Munkeyboi_Wilde

Lt Cdr Data om

Self is a bit pompous, ie the only way to an amp is my way, but will give you a great understanding of the functional blocks and topology.

AS to sound, you can't really engineer it in, it just happens...you design to engineering principles, mathematics, and your sound comes out....there are a few audiophile fokelores....ie mosfets are more rugged, some say tubelike in the sound because the graphs look like a valve, some say they distort more or less, you can put audiophile caps in, resistors in key locations, get your power supply with schottky diodes and posh resevoir caps,
    crucially, layout and earthing arrangements.

Personally I am inclined to think the things that make an amp measure read perform in engineers speak, performance in a mag usually means sound, so confusion here, kills the sound, the simpler the better, then again, there seem to be no rules.

I have an amp full of opamps 5534s and tle072s, and it sounds superb. That has changed my thoughts.

Lt Cdr Data, Dec 27, 2003
Ask a Question