power cable query...

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by mr cat, Nov 21, 2006.

1. mr cat

mr cat Member of the month

just a quick query here as I plan to do this over the coming months (but after xmas) - I've noticed gains when I've upgraded the power cables on my components (main my sub) - however - a lot of my components have the power cables built it - is there an easy way around this - preferably without having to use a solder...!

cheers

mr cat, Nov 21, 2006
  2. mr cat

zanash

yes ......

its not pretty, you snip the lead and fit an female iec plug or is the male .....any way the normal kettle lead fits in. see this

RS Stock no. 449-922

zanash, Nov 21, 2006
  3. mr cat

cheers for that - but would that affect the sound quality a bit - as potenially one would still have a small amount of the original cable there..?

but I guess that if you'd fit the power cable internally (at the source) then then maybe the hole in the cabinet would maybe need to be made bigger to accomodate the new cable..?

mr cat, Nov 21, 2006
  4. mr cat

zanash

The new power cables in my experience do more than just add a bit more wire !

they seem to act as a filter too..... never use less than 1.5m otherwise the effects can be minimised.

zanash, Nov 21, 2006
  5. mr cat

sorry -I think you misunderstood me... that is to say if i use your first method which is attaching the new power cable to the original - then I would still have some of the original cable - now this small bit if original cable - would that counteract against the gains of the new power cable..?

mr cat, Nov 21, 2006
  6. mr cat

zanash

no ......

its not totally about size ...just think how big the pcb tracks are and the transformer windings.

zanash, Nov 21, 2006
  7. mr cat

ok, thats cool - just wasn't sure about that!

mr cat, Nov 21, 2006
  8. mr cat

zanash

but keep the tail of the old cable as short as possible

zanash, Nov 21, 2006
  9. mr cat

yeah - will be very careful about that - knowing my luck I'll cut to much off... ;)

mr cat, Nov 21, 2006
  10. mr cat

Nuuk

And what do you think you have behind the IEC inlet sockets? ;)

Nuuk, Nov 25, 2006
  11. mr cat

zanash

Is that what you mean ?

I feel that theres more going on than just adding a thicker wire ....as you say the stuff behind the iec sockets is normally pretty low Q

zanash, Nov 25, 2006
  12. mr cat

rollo

Mapleshade offers a D.I.Y. power cord kit for hard wired units.Some of our club members have had a revalation with the double Helix kit.It offers a crimp connection to the existing cut cord.Reports of dropped noise floor and basically more of what you have especially the bass.I use the Omega line of power cords [active,battery charged shield].To date the this cord has not lost a shootout against the so called better ones;Kimber Palladian,Nordst Vahlhalla,Shunyhata anaconda,E.S.P,Siltech and Lengendberg.Whooooh!Thats amouth full. May the cord be with you. cheers rollo

rollo, Dec 2, 2006
  13. mr cat

andye2004

andye2004, Dec 3, 2006
  14. mr cat

technobear Ursine Audiophile

I did some DIY power cable experimentation earlier this year. In particular, I tried using plugs and sockets plated with different metals - silver, gold and rhodium. Each had a dramatic but quite different effect on the sound. In the end I settled for good quality gold-plated UK plugs and IECs from Furutech. I particularly like the Furutech UK plug because it can accept two cores per channel of 2.5mm T&E.

Yep, you read that right :) My power cables consist of twisted twin runs of 2.5mm T&E. This is equivalent to the household ring main and effectively extends the ring to the kit. It's quite hard to twist the two runs together but worth the effort for the interference rejection that this gives.

They will need a good 50 hours break-in at least.

I haven't experimented with any additional shielding so don't know if this would be better still but I sold my fancy (and expensive) after market power cables after testing against these.

I also use ProGold to get the last ounce of performance from the gold-plated contacts.

For 2 Furutech UK plugs (gold plated) and 2 Furutech IEC plugs (gold plated) I paid a total of £190. The T&E was about a tenner.

Another advantage of this design is that if I move house and need longer cables I can just go down to the DIY store for twenty quid's worth of T&E and re-use my fancy plugs :cool:

Edit: I also replaced the wall socket with a switchless model. It makes a small difference but costs peanuts so why not.

technobear, Dec 6, 2006
  15. mr cat

Nuuk

Why not go a stage further Chris and put in a dedicated supply for the hi-fi?

I have a spur direct to my hi-fi and use the old 15 amp round pin plugs and sockets.

Rather than go with any magic solutions, I find a good rub-up with Brasso (about twice a year) keeps the plug contacts in top condioton. :MILD:

Nuuk, Dec 6, 2006
  16. mr cat

DavidF

plugs

DavidF, Dec 6, 2006
  17. mr cat

Nuuk

Nuuk, Dec 6, 2006
  18. mr cat

DavidF

thankyou....

DavidF, Dec 6, 2006