Power Cable Replacement

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by tom123, Dec 20, 2003.

1. tom123

tom123

Waw, I just replaced my stock power cord with;
    Vandenhul CS-122, this is speaker cable.

I used it already for my speakers, with great results.

Why not try it for a power cable?

Well, this cable, made a HUGE different, huger than for a speaker cable.

In the beginning there was a slight harsness in the sound, the soundstage was allready fuller, wider, livier, more detail

I think you really should give it a try, really this is no chit man!!

I'm gonna replace the stock power cord on my brothers' Xbox, and there also, I think the result will be starling.

And for the people that think a stock power cord is good, I can say, just try it!!

My cable sounded much, much better after 24hrs in use.

Comments are welcome

tom123, Dec 20, 2003
  2. tom123

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

so this cable is rated for 230 volts then? and has been tested to the relavant BS/EN/IEE codes?

themadhippy, Dec 21, 2003
  3. tom123

voodoo OdD

4. tom123

penance Arrogant Cock

yup bad idea

it go BANG when it finish:eek:

penance, Dec 21, 2003
  5. tom123

tom123

tom123, Dec 21, 2003
  6. tom123

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

All power cables sold in the EU must be CE marked, low voltage lines below 90V? can be self certified, else no CE mark=illeagle to sell. UL is the US mark, ALL HIGH VOLTAGE POWER CHORDS MUST BE CE MARKED for consumer retail. Wm

wadia-miester, Dec 21, 2003
  7. tom123

penance Arrogant Cock

Re: Absolutly safe - tested

Very doubtful. Cables designed for constant use at 240V rms are normally tested in excess of 600V.
    Also as MH and WM have said, it is not CE approved and is illegal for use as a mains capacity cable

penance, Dec 21, 2003
  8. tom123

michaelab desafinado

Re: Re: Absolutly safe - tested

...and as a result, if you have a fire in your house and that cable is found afterwards by the insurance assessor you may get no pay-out whether the cable had anything to do with the fire or not. Worth bearing in mind ;)

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 21, 2003
  9. tom123

Andy, the 'Pat' is 1500 volts mate, plus the CE approval can take up to 3 days plus a fist full of dollars :D Tone

10. tom123

penance Arrogant Cock

is that ins test or running?

hmm, im out of date on regs:rolleyes:

penance, Dec 21, 2003
  11. tom123

Innsolation defo, and running to I believe, I'll consault the pat tester at work tomorrow Andy, handy having one on site :)

12. tom123

tom123

The test voltage is 300V/rms minimum

The break down voltage of this cable is well above that.

Have you ever had this cable in your hands?
    Try to pull on this cable, stand on it, remove the isolation??
    Well if you have, than you know this is a STRONG cable

The isolation is wayyy stronger than PE isolation mechanicly, just unstrip the wire and you will know what I mean.

The distances between the two conductors is a lot more than normal power cables (supplied ones)

In a regular stock power cord they use PVC, this cable uses hulliflex, the dielectrum is way better than PVC, the exact number I don't have, but it is better than PVC

I am sure that this cable is safer than a supplied stock power cord.

Ow yes the CE marking, it is marked by the manufacterer HIMSELF, it is his own responsibility.
    I have learned it for a test btw

Only the VDE, KEMA-KEUR, CEBEC, .. labels are from test organisations (important note!!)

Comments are welcome and I'd like to have reactions from people that uses Vandenhul products

Thx for reading, comments are welcome

tom123, Dec 21, 2003
  13. tom123

penance Arrogant Cock

Tome
    It has nothing to do with mechanical isolation or physical strength, its the insulation that matters. If the cable is rated at 300V then you have no idea what the breakdown voltage is.
    The cables ability to withstand physical abuse (stretching, crushing etc) is again nothing related to its insulation.
    Distance again makes no odds.
    Hulliflex may well be a better dielectric than PVC, doesnt mean it is a better insulator:rolleyes:
    It is up to the manufacturer to have his products tested for safety, in this situation YOU are the manufacturer and as stated by Micheal, in the event of a fire the insurers can (and in most cases will) refuse to payout if you have been useing non CE approved cables. The VDH may have a CE mark, but it will be relevant to use as a speaker cable and NOT a mains cable.

But, its your house, your insurance, knock yerself out;)

penance, Dec 21, 2003
  14. tom123

tom123

High voltage :))

Uhm Wadia master

You say high voltage 230v??

Well it isn't low indeed, but for the industry it is low

read this:

equipment designed for use with a voltage rating of between 50 and 1000 V for alternating current (A.C.)

and between 75 and 1500 V for direct current (D.C.).

Therefore, it is called often "Low Voltage Electrical Equipment" which includes the vast majority of electrical equipment in everyday use.

There you'll have the proof

tom123, Dec 21, 2003
  15. tom123

All irevelant Tom, unless IT's been CE test and approved, then it's bollox, (no matter how good you feel it is)
    One of the test, is to pull the cable on a tensile strength gauge, crush test, insoluation break down test, pull ont the socket test, cutting test.
    To be qualified for Pat testing you first have to have approperaite qualifiacation in electronic engineering, then take the pat test course. but your still learning Tom, any comments, yes I prefer other power chords :)

16. tom123

AC or DC test voltage? if its dc then the minimum test voltage is twice the normal voltage,hence why meggers (insulation testers) are avaliable with a 500v test voltage,1000v is olny realy neaded if its a 3 phase installation (415 v),or to realy make the apprentice jump :JOEL: Also what are the R1 and R2 values and the mv/a/m ratings? all essentiall values needed to work out how safe the cable realy is

17. tom123

nope sorry wm but to carry out pat testing the olny requirment is that your electrically compedent,the deffinition of this is open to debate,however the mimimum standard genrally agreed on is a person holding at least city + guilds 236 part 1 or equivalent

18. tom123

tom123

I say the insulations is mechanicly stronger.

The mechanical aspects are important just as well, a power cable for the industry must mechanicly be strong, a small truck, that drives over the cable must not cause an short circuit.

The main thing for voltages is the dielectricum and the distances between the conductors, hulliflex is a better dielectricum than pvc.

The distances between the two conductors is important as well, but NOT critical, the more space apart, the better.

The dielectricum is in a 230V applications a CRITICAL factor

If only i had the stuff to test this cable to the max, like max voltage, max current etc, ...
    I am sure that you'll be impressed
    It's just better than a stock power cord and if you use it well, there nothing that can go wrong, offcourse it(s your own responsibility, but making it safe, is a like baking an egg, come on

Comments welcome

tom123, Dec 21, 2003
  19. tom123

Les, city + guilds 236 part 1 or equivalent isn't a elctronics/electrical qualification then ;), pat test isn't a CE mark though, it's a saftey test for the component being tested, IE cash till/lamp, IT checks that it is SAFE TO OPERATE only, not grant a CE mark stamp, an insurance company requirement or any company operating under ISO flag Requirement, every piece of eletrical equipment in the building must be tested for compliance. It is renewable on a 12 month basis ??? (I think), just look at one of the tills in Wollies when you go in, they be a tested for safety sticker on there (well should be). Wm

20. tom123

tom123

The test voltage is 300V/rms

This means root mean square (quadratic average)

So this is for AC
    The minimum test voltage is 300V (quadratic average), IMPORTANT average

So, if you wanna test it to the max, the break/down sould be AT lLEAST 600V

Sorry wadia master, you don't convince me, the CE label is not a relaible marking, the manufacter can put it on it's product without even testing, it is true, searching for example right now!!!
    No bullshit, in case of a injury the manufacter is responsible for it's product

The only safety marking are that from:
    VDE (germany)
    KEMA-KEUR (belgium)
    CEBEC (belgium)
    plus many others like; D, N, S, FI, OVI

If that's on a product, you can be sure that it is properly is tested according the law.

tom123, Dec 21, 2003
Ask a Question