Power or not?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Joolsburger, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Joolsburger

Joolsburger

A quick thought I had whilst watching top gear...

Reasonably heavy car with massive engine producing big power laps a track in a good time has a very high top speed and accelarates like a bastard.

Light car with small engine laps in about the same time uses less fuel and offers a better driving experience most of the time in the real world.

Hifi is alot like that I reckon. Is it all about power or is a lighter, easier to move set of speakers with less power going in the way to go?

I'm a 35 watt man myself!!

If only I could find some speakers that sound like my ls3/5as but have about 95db efficency..

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2003
    Joolsburger, Jun 23, 2003
  2. Joolsburger

zanash

Have you thought to look at horns....they are a very efficient way of turning your precious watts to sound pressure waves.

zanash, Jun 23, 2003
  3. Joolsburger

GrahamN

Living Voice Avatars (OBX even) - 94dB/W IIRC, although I have heard a dealer allege a degree of artistic licence in that spec.

No doubt Bottleneck (or SCIDB) will be along soon to sing their praises.

Can't remember specs here either, but AudioNote should also have something to suit, if you have suitable corners to put them in.

GrahamN, Jun 23, 2003
  4. Joolsburger

Robbo

I guess that as with a lot of things - it depends.

In theory, small amps with easy to drive speakers sounds a good way to go, but I have heard systems like this sound considerably slower and less dynamic than systems with really insensitive speakers driven by big power amps. I suppose its all about system synergy again.

Also, I believe that very sensitive speakers and horns can be more prone to colouration as they have to use super light diaphragms and less damping. Those wishing for neutrality and tonal accuracy may not like the outcome.

The living voice avatars would probably be a good match for the lower powered lavardin amp. But would they be neutral enough to fully convey the excellent neutrality and tonal accuracy of the lavardin?

On the few occasions I heard them they didnt do it for me :( I guess youll have to give them a listen and see what you think.

Cheers, Robbo

Robbo, Jun 23, 2003
  5. Joolsburger

Joolsburger

Don't get me wrong the sound I have is exactly as I like it but for a few hours on a saturday afternoon I wish it was twice as loud (i.e. really, really, really loud).

I have decided that I am going to get some old JBLs like 18s or 22s and just wire them up in the other room when volume is more important than quality....

Joolsburger, Jun 23, 2003
  6. Joolsburger

Mr_Sukebe

I heard a pair of LVs at Bristol and thought they sounded completely awesome, but then they were on the end of some well good equipment.

More recently I owned a pair of Audio Note AZs for a couple of weeks. I liked them, although they weren't very detailed. Definitely a lot of fun though.

Personally I'm just happy to listen at "reasonable" as against headbanging level, so my 33watts driving 86db/w speakers sounds fine.
    What I find interesting is the "cross over volume threshold" that seems to exist. Below a certain volume (not massively loud) the systems sounds OK, but like a hi-fi system. When it reaches a certain volume it's almost as though someone has turned on a switch to snap the sound from hi-fi into music. Very bizarre, but extremely pleasing everytime it happens.

Mr_Sukebe, Jun 24, 2003
  7. Joolsburger

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Tried so hard not to reply....'Living Voice' and a 'bottleneck post' seem to be like 'moth' and 'flame' !

On that particular speaker, all I can say is that it littered the rooms of the heathrow high end show with abandon. It was by far and away the most popular product on show.

The industry plaudits are so numerous they dont need further promotion - its simply a great speaker, and industry plaudit after plaudit reflect that. Whether its right for an individual, is a matter of audition I guess.

There are plenty of speakers with highish sensitivity - but not many with 94db+... Loth X's are famously high, as are certain audionotes.. etc

In terms of is a small amp with sensitive speakers the way to go - Id say yes, if you have a small amp and like the sound of it... which it sounds like you do. Its not just about volume, the control, dynamic impact, the immediacy of it all is right there on tap. You just get a lot 'more'. Same way as you do with a big amp into inefficient speakers...

As to which is best - well which set of compromises do you want to accept? Every system has them, and a powerful amp into inefficient speakers is just as compromised as the reverse, just a different set of compromises is all.

An inefficient pair of speakers may just be the root of an amp change in the future in your own case. Rather like the position you might be in now?

..... then of course theres the dishonesty in accuarcy of published sensitivity figures. Best measure of sensitivity I feel is a pair of lugs!

Yours half pissed up,
    Chris

bottleneck, Jun 24, 2003
Ask a Question