Power required for ATC SCM20SL

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Matt@Nearfield, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Matt@Nearfield

Matt@Nearfield

Hi guys,

I've just bought myself a pair of the ATC SCM20SLs, but funds only allowed me to get the passives.. the plan is to send them to ATC when I've saved up and have them upgraded to the actives.

In the mean time I'm looking for a stop gap 2nd hand amp that will go some way to doing them justice.

Source will be a good dvd player as transport, optical out into the Stello Dac/Pre or the Bidland Odeon AG.

So, any advice on power requirements, and any thoughts on amps that would fit the bill?

Kindest,

Matt

Matt@Nearfield, Nov 13, 2004
  2. Matt@Nearfield

hifienthusiast

amp for ATC SCM20

Once I listened to the ATC SCM20 driven by a pair of re-issued Maranatz 9 EL34 valve power amps in Hong Kong, the midrange is marvellous and that made my mind up to look for a pair of SCM20, but you are talking about £3k updwards for the Marantz 9 if you can find a pair in UK. I then bought a pair of ATC SCM20, not the SL model, tried them with Naim 32.5/Snaps/250 and 112/150 pre & power amps, neither of them had enough drive for the ATC. I ended up selling the passive 20 and got a pair of newer Active 10.

I would look for a used ATC SIA150 integrated amp which will be a good match to the speakers. Used ones can be found for less than £1k. Have fun.

Regards
    Hon

hifienthusiast, Nov 13, 2004
  3. Matt@Nearfield

Matt@Nearfield

Thanks for the tip Hon,

Matt

Matt@Nearfield, Nov 13, 2004
  4. Matt@Nearfield

technobear Ursine Audiophile

The SIA2-150 is a cracker. It's a class A amp like the ones in the ATC actives. It will do considerable justice to the SCM20s and certainly has enough oomph!

technobear, Nov 13, 2004
  5. Matt@Nearfield

andyoz

I would stick with ATC and go with the SIA2-150. Second hand ATC amps are very good value considering the sound and build quality. I think one sold for £800 on www.hififorsale.com recently so worth keeping an eye on that website. If you buy one for a good price you won't loose too much when you come to sell it either.

If you were thinking to stay passive more long term then the ATC CA2 / SPA2-150 pre-power combo can be had cheap second hand as well (I got my combo for £1400).

I can email some ATC amp reviews if you want to pm me.

Andy

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2004
    andyoz, Nov 14, 2004
  6. Matt@Nearfield

Dick Bowman

I think you need a relatively powerful (200wpc or more) solid-state amp - which would be in line with ATC's recommendations. So far as I am aware, the SCM20 isn't a "difficult" load - it's just massively insensitive - and you don't want to throw away that controlled bass. Bear in mind also that ATC are not "background" speakers. Bryston and AVI are names that come to mind.

Personally, I would go down the road of passive SCM20 with a serious power amp rather than ATC actives - which don't seem quite so capable of grabbing the attention. This is possibly because I am not as refined in my tastes as I might be, and possibly because I'm sensitive to a particular electronic sound characteristic - but ATC's internal amps don't do it for me. Take a serious listen to actives versus passive with an adequate external amp.

Dick Bowman, Nov 14, 2004
  7. Matt@Nearfield

Matt@Nearfield

Well, it's interesting you say about the brystons.. I was seriously considering the Bryston Dac/pre into the actives (although I can get a good deal on the stello which made it attractive), but I could well do the dac pre and power amp rather than the actives..

Thx for everyone's help here :D

Matt@Nearfield, Nov 14, 2004
  8. Matt@Nearfield

Mikemaxcel

I am now driving my ATC SCM20SL Pro with a pair of Carver TFM25s, first time highly satisfaction after so many years searching for the right amp.

Mikemaxcel, Apr 18, 2017
  9. Matt@Nearfield

danielwritesback

Oh my. That's a 2-way, thus no possibility for it to maintain fidelity when driven by over a hundred watts. So, it is clear that the power output spec isn't what you're after. With some news that it is hard to match it for an amp, I have then 3 notions.
    A tube amp could be fun.
    A solid state amp would have to be Parallel solid state amp (possibly neurochrome.com).
    A not terribly expensive BSC circuit could serve as an adapter to match the speaker that you have to the amplifier that you already have (that circuit has two tasks and I've illustrated one of them).

I have managed one other notion. Since the lack is appropriate current, neither cash nor equalizers can possibly help and are effectively disabled. The approach that you need for those speakers, is one of appropriate current-based management. Buying whatever amp works with them is one possibility; however a more direct approach is a crossover-looking adapter work along with a "excessive current headroom" (overbuilt tube amp or parallel solid state amp) so long as the amplifier is rated for high resolution.

Well, I just had to mention that a more direct approach could be more cost effective; and, although that might not be important, you might be interested in the faster results.

In other language. . .
    That speaker looks like one of my favorites and on first glance it should have goodly means to work inside a normal size house (that one will fail in an airplane hangar), so, if it had a high-end price point and lacked for the BSC (an optional, luxury portion of the crossover), then you should phone their moms. A luxury price point without the means, does need at least the availability of purchasing the omitted components or at least a briefing on how to use the product, specifically including the amplifiers to use for it. At some point in the chain, you should not be required to purchase random amplifiers for achieving satisfaction.

danielwritesback, Apr 26, 2017
Ask a Question