Pre Amp to Power Amp - Balanced or Unbalanced

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by django5, Apr 21, 2007.

1. django5

django5

Hello, I'm going to wire my Audiovalve Eklipse to my Rotel RB-991 and I was wondering wether I should use the unbalanced or the balanced outs? The Eklipse has 2 sets of RCA outs and 1 set of balanced outs. So should I wait to get a subwoofer to use the balanced outs and buy another power amp for the other RCA outs?

django5, Apr 21, 2007
  2. django5

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Use the unbalanced unless there's a long run to the amps of more than a few metres.

SteveC, Apr 21, 2007
  3. django5

dreftar

My power amps are Monarchy Audio SM 70 Pros.They have facility for RCA and Balanced input. My pre amp only has RCA outputs. I use an ART Clean Box to covert the RCS to Balance between the Pre amp and Power Amps and switch my amps to balanced differential mode. On changing to this way of connecting my pre to power amps I noticed a remarkable improvement in my system. I believe that the improvement was in the signal to noise ratio and this led to more spaces between the notes and an altogether more involving musical experience which is especially noticeable at lower than normal listening levels.

dreftar, Apr 21, 2007
  4. django5

Petergc

I use the balanced connections on my Proceed, on the basis that US amp makers are likely to spend more care on the balanced signal path than the standard RCA

Petergc, Apr 22, 2007
  5. django5

larkrise Sheepdogs prefer red wine

Balanced - regardless

larkrise, Apr 22, 2007
Ask a Question