pressed in tweeter

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Hodgesaargh, Sep 25, 2004.

1. Hodgesaargh

Hodgesaargh

One of my soft dome teeters is pressed in :( What's the best way to get it back in shape? It appears to just be the fabric, I'm hoping anyway...

Hodgesaargh, Sep 25, 2004
  2. Hodgesaargh

andrew1810

Three options really:

1) Use the vacuum cleaner on a very low setting and slowly turn up the power until it pulls out the dents without ripping off the fabric dome
    2) Suck it with your mouth (if its clean)
    3) Use some sellotape but press it against clothes or your finger or something first to make sure its not too sticky or it will take the fabric off

I have tried both of the first two and they have both worked fine, I can't see there being any other damage but if all else fails a new tweeter will probably only be £20-£30

Let me know if it works

Andrew

andrew1810, Sep 25, 2004
  3. Hodgesaargh

technobear Ursine Audiophile

No!

No!

Yes, that might work. Sticky tape is quite good for taking dust off of them too (but peel rather than pull for that).

Failing that, you might be able to carefully tease it back out with a very fine sewing needle.

technobear, Sep 25, 2004
  4. Hodgesaargh

andrew1810

I managed to pull a dent out of my old Coda 7 tweeter just by sucking on it gently and pulled some dents out of a 10" bass bin with the hoover trick without damaging either

andrew1810, Sep 25, 2004
  5. Hodgesaargh

Ultrasonic Bo selecta!!

I had enough of sucking on tweeters so i got myself some tannoys which have a horn loaded titanium tweeter :D Seriously tho, if u do plan on sucking ur tweeter make sure theres no females within a 100metre radius :D

Ultra

Ultrasonic, Sep 25, 2004
  6. Hodgesaargh

andrew1810

Only one thing on your mind tonight!!

andrew1810, Sep 25, 2004
  7. Hodgesaargh

Hodgesaargh

It's so frustrating I've tried sucking and using tape and both almost do it but the indent just moves round to a different bit. :banghead:

It's driving me mad. My vacuum cleaner is a bit too powerful I think, I'm scared to use it.

Hodgesaargh, Sep 25, 2004
  8. Hodgesaargh

andrew1810

If it doesn't have a way to adjust the setting then it would probably be a bad idea to try it, too much to risk really.

Afraid I can't think of any other ways of doing it without taking the tweeter apart which can be very risky!!

Could be worth ringing the manufacturer, they may tell you how or if not repair it for you

Andrew

andrew1810, Sep 26, 2004
  9. Hodgesaargh

Hodgesaargh

I've finally managed to get it back out, sucking through a small plastic bottle that I'd cut the bottom out of. There are 2 very slight indents in it still, not sure if that's because it's been damaged. :( Hope it doesnt affect the sound, have to wait till tomorrow to find out. I hope it doesnt go back in when I start playing music too, there was a couple of times I thought I'd sucked it back but it popped back in again.

I dont know how long it had been indented because I usually keep the grills on, but the tweeter sort of sicks out more than the rest of the front of the speaker so it was probably pressed in with the grill on...

Hodgesaargh, Sep 26, 2004
  10. Hodgesaargh

andrew1810

My tweeter on one of the Ela's has a small dent in it and it doesn't effect sound quality at all

Glad you managed to fix it, will have to remember that way

Andrew

andrew1810, Sep 26, 2004
  11. Hodgesaargh

Tenson Moderator

Or replace them with these ones I recently saw on Madisound? Accuton D20-6 Does not look like it would get pressed in.

Tenson, Sep 26, 2004
  12. Hodgesaargh

Hodgesaargh

Bloody hell mate. I could buy 4 sets of speakers for the price of that thing.

Hodgesaargh, Sep 26, 2004
  13. Hodgesaargh

andrew1810

I wouldn't want to use the speakers in case it broke!!

andrew1810, Sep 26, 2004
  14. Hodgesaargh

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

My JPW 310i's had some strange sweeters that popped back out every time you they got pressed in. They were exellent durable little things, my parents use them now every underrated for the £40 I paid for them.

I had a pair of Pionneer speakers which my sisters uses the tweeter got pushed in then so I just bought some slightly ill matched replacements from Maplin.

amazingtrade, Sep 26, 2004
  15. Hodgesaargh

PBirkett VTEC Addict

One of my Ela's has a crinkled tweeter, where it appears to have been pushed in once in its life, but it sounds no worse for it, as far as I can tell.

PBirkett, Sep 26, 2004
  16. Hodgesaargh

andrew1810

Mine it is just one tweeter with 2 tiny dents but what do you expect for speakers this old

andrew1810, Sep 26, 2004
  17. Hodgesaargh

PBirkett VTEC Addict

My mates got a pair as well and his are perfect. The shocking thing is, he paid less for those from Lintone as I paid for mine. Oh well...

PBirkett, Sep 26, 2004
  18. Hodgesaargh

MartinC Trainee tea boy

A replacement tweeter for those AVIs would be rather more than that I think? It's a reasonable Scan-Speak one isn't it? AVI do spend a higher proportion of the cost of their speakers on drivers than many manufacturers. So, if you can get the speakers back to sounding good without replacing the tweeter then great!

Oh, and if the speaker grills don't seem to be protecting the tweeter any, then unless you prefer the look with the grills on then try listening without them. I personally think AVI speakers look better with the grills off anyway, plus sound better...

MartinC, Sep 26, 2004
  19. Hodgesaargh

andrew1810

Do your Ela's have little pyramid's sticking out of the main driver? The ones on PFM don't seem to have them.

Just noticed that the main driver is definitely different and if they are different speakers in the two picture then the tweeters point the same way, do yours point towards/away from each other or in the same direction?

http://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7242

Andrew

andrew1810, Sep 26, 2004
  20. Hodgesaargh

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I cant believe Ive just read a thread about people who suck on their loudspeaker cones.

:newbie:

bottleneck, Sep 26, 2004
Ask a Question