Price increase?

Discussion in 'General Music' started by MO!, Nov 23, 2003.

1. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Is it just me or do 101 and cd-wow seem to have increased their prices? MOst new chart cds were (i'm sure) £7.99, and having been searching around for xmas presents last night, they appear to be up to £8.99!

I priced up the same 6 cds on 101/wow/amazon/play. Play were the MOst consistantly cheap.

MO!, Nov 23, 2003
  2. MO!

Wingnut

No, I think they were always £8.99 at cd-wow, Amazons new releases are £8.49, and the CDs at Play tend to be between £8.49 and £10.99.

I think there's too much competition from the supermarkets to put the prices up now, most new releases are below a tenner. They're still around £7.60 at cd-wow Hong Kong.

I don't use 101 anymore after too many problems.

I tend to find some cracking bargains on Play for older stuff though, bought loads lately at 4/3 for £20.

BTW the best CD I've bought for while is Frengers by Mew - best album of 2003 I'd say.

Wingnut

Wingnut, Nov 23, 2003
  3. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

do tell MOre......

I've not used play before, but they seem to have a decent aMOunt of stuff, and free p+p always nice. I've used amazons used option a few times (have three on the way despite a self imposed buying ban for the run up to xmas :rolleyes: ), and some good bargains can be had there. With a list of "to buys" longer than I can afford, it's a good way to help decide what to buy first. If it's available cheapest at the time, get it :D:student:

MO!, Nov 24, 2003
  4. MO!

Zoomer

I only seem to use play.com at the moment unless I cant find the album there.

but i tend to shop around every now and then but with free shipping at play.com which not all supplies do it normally wins.

Zoomer, Nov 24, 2003
  5. MO!

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

I'm waiting on an order from 101cd.com that's taking forever - I'll probably not be using them again, which is a shame since they've always been OK in the past.

CDWow are good though :)

domfjbrown, Nov 24, 2003
  6. MO!

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

That wouldn't be The Old Kit Bag on vinyl by any chance, Dom?

101cd.com can be really good or really awful, there seems to be no half-measures with them. I ordered the 4 DVD version of Fellowship Of The RIng the other day and it arrived 2 days later.
    However, I did give up on an order with them a couple of months back because they'd taken over a month, can't remember what it was though.

Usually, I tend to just order from wherevers cheapest, it always turns up in the end and it's not as though I haven't got anything to listen to in the meantime. If I want something that desperately I usually just relent and buy it in a shop :eek:

Anyway, record fayre on Saturday!

ilockyer, Nov 24, 2003
  7. MO!

MartinC Trainee tea boy

The cheapest option is I'm sure still to buy through the HongKong CDWOW site:

http://www7.cd-wow.com.hk/

You just pay in HongKong dollars on your credit card, and what was £8.99 works out at a little over £7.50 (depending on exchange rate).

MartinC, Nov 24, 2003
  8. MO!

Wingnut

I'd say Amazon and Play have the widest choice, http://www.cd-wow.com.hk is the cheapest, but tends to have mainly chart stuff and we all know that we don't buy that don't we ;) they can surprise you though, I always try them first.

As for Mew, it's difficult to describe - big, orchestral rock sound, beautifully crafted with multiple hooks. Not a bad track on the album, i've played it constantly in the car for the last week and I think it'll be there for a long time yet. Well recorded too, which is a bonus for the audiophiles among us. Well and truly recommended.

Wingnut

Wingnut, Nov 24, 2003
  9. MO!

GAZZ

MartinC, what charge do the credit card companies, charge for paying on a foreign currency. eg £7.50+ charge =

GAZZ

GAZZ, Nov 24, 2003
  10. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

this has been said before, and the answer would appear to be "zero". No extra charges! O've not tried it myself, but will (possibly tonight).

LOOK HERE

MO!, Nov 24, 2003
  11. MO!

GAZZ

Let us know Mo. One thing, remember to email cd-wow and ask what copy protection is on the cd's you want to purchase.

GAZZ

GAZZ, Nov 24, 2003
  12. MO!

Wingnut

Do they tell you? I emailed them to ask if they could put on their website which CDs are copy protected, and basically the answer was 'No'.

Do you know if CDs are available without copy protection (perhaps in different countries)? or are all the CDs the same?

Wingnut

Wingnut, Nov 24, 2003
  13. MO!

MartinC Trainee tea boy

MO's link basically answered this, but for the record I haven't found any hidden charges. The bit over £7.50 amount I stated was what is actually taken from my credit card. I've done this a few times, as has my sister, with the service being identical to using the UK site (they're coming from exactly the same place after all), just cheaper :) I keep expecting them to find a way of stopping you doing this, but they haven't yet so make the most of it!

MartinC, Nov 25, 2003
  14. MO!

GAZZ

If you email them they will tell you, there is a thread on zerogain about the politics about why music shops will not list what is and what isn't a cd

GAZZ

GAZZ, Nov 25, 2003
  15. MO!

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Nope - it would be that and ALL FOUR OTHER outstanding orders.... And I don't think you can cancel them can you?

Anyway, yeah, record fair has to be done - up for a stint in the Wellhouse afterwards??

domfjbrown, Nov 26, 2003
  16. MO!

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

Duh, that's such a hard one... let me think... :guiness: Supposed to be seeing an old uni. friend that afternoon as well and that's as good a venue as any I can think of!

If you go onto the 101cd site, log-in to your account and call up your order history, there should be an option to cancel. As an aside, if some of the stuff you ordered was on one of the offers they do, that could be reason for some of the delay, they were doing a 6 for £28.50 deal or something, the catch being shipping not until December, or something sketchy like that! I put a load of stuff into a shopping basket ready to order - until I saw that caveat.

ilockyer, Nov 26, 2003
  17. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Well, I tried, I failed. Can't use my lowly visa electron with foreign currency. Oh well....

MO!, Nov 26, 2003
  18. MO!

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Heads up on Amazon ''V2''

they have the underworld back catalogue for a fiver each!

If I didnt have them, Id nab the lot. It isnt just good, its beaucoup fish

:)
    Chris

bottleneck, Nov 26, 2003
  19. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

amazon v2?

MO!, Nov 26, 2003
Ask a Question