Problem with CD player cutting out on one channel

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by amazingtrade, Apr 30, 2005.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Just about everything else has blown up this week and now my CDP decides to go on the brink - it may be still under warranty if I can find the receipt.

The problem is every often it cuts out on the left channel, I give it a gentle tap and the channel comes back to life. I have checked the interconnect and its secure, clearly somthing is loose but what?

Could it be a faulty interconnect?

amazingtrade, Apr 30, 2005
  2. amazingtrade

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Try changing the cable round. See if the problem follows the cable, or stays on the same channel. Try using a different input on your amp... same again, does the problem change?

If it's under warranty, then don't bother opening it up.

Stick to your tt and don't spend too much time trying to solve the problem! You've got study to be getting on with!!! ;)

MO!, Apr 30, 2005
  3. amazingtrade

Yeah thats why I have not looked at the problem properly yet. Its more than a year old but I think Marantz products have two years warranty. I'll swap the cable round later tonight when I have finished my work :)

Only four more weeks to go and I am free at last.

4. amazingtrade

Rory satisfied

loose connection on one of the rca outputs probably. we had a problem like that with a cd6000 at work when i insisted on using non-crappy rca leads ;)

Rory, Apr 30, 2005
  5. amazingtrade

Damn I could probably fix this myself but then I will probably mess it up and up shorting somthing, mines a CD6000 as (you probably knew that) its the SE LE model but the RCA blocks will identical.

Do you think the shop will be able to repair it in house if its that? I the repair is as simple dab of solder?

6. amazingtrade

Rory satisfied

yeh i just meant the cd6000x. they all have the same back plate and connections.

send it off to marantz chap- 01753680868. Call them, get a reference number then mail it off. best be safe and do it this way in case you get another problem with it after this problem. if they look inside at a later date and they see some 'aftermarket' soldering then they may claim that you've invalidated the guarantee.

Rory, Apr 30, 2005
  7. amazingtrade

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

It sounds like its ****ed.

garyi, Apr 30, 2005
  8. amazingtrade

It better not be, its only 13-14 months old :(

Also if I cannot fix the problem by messing about with cables I shall have to try and find my receipt and get it repaired under warranty, blowing my PC has cost me almost £100 so I cannot afford to buy a new CD player.

9. amazingtrade

Rory satisfied

AT, ring Marantz. They're nice guys at HQ and i'm fairly sure you won't need your receipt :)

Rory, May 1, 2005
  10. amazingtrade

OK thanks, so the repair should be free? I assume I will have to pay for delivery to them and they will pay for it to be sent back to me? Also long will I be without it?

The problem is at the moment my tunrtable needs atttention and I don't have time to learn how to fix it yet.

amazingtrade, May 1, 2005
  11. amazingtrade

Rory satisfied

most probably you'll have to pay for it to be sent there and they'll send it back to you FOC. I have no idea how long you'll be without it. You have a dvd player for temporarily playing cds do you not?

Rory, May 1, 2005
  12. amazingtrade

Rory satisfied

oh and yes the repair will be free. thats the point of guarantees ;)

Rory, May 1, 2005
  13. amazingtrade

I do have a DVD but it sounds really really nasty on CDs I might be able to borrow my parents Sony which is actually my CD player anyway.

Anyway before I do any of this I need to test it I will change the cables round now as I have done enough work for today.

Edit - I wasn't sure if you meant under guarentee or not, how will they its less than two years old if they don't have a receipt? Also the CDP was in the sale so it may well have been made a good year before it was sold, mine is also a window one.

14. amazingtrade

Rory satisfied

well superfi is a big national company. they will have records if Marantz quibble it. Your guarantee starts from when u hand over your card/beer tokens

Rory, May 1, 2005
  15. amazingtrade

Thanks, I paid with my debit card as well which should make it easier to trace. I am also pretty certain they asked for my name and address when I bought it so they should have it on record.

I am also quite impressed that you can remember a detail such as I bought the unit from Superfi.

PS that Rotel pre amp is still going strong, its used as my pre amp for my project as its better than the built in one on my amp.

16. amazingtrade

Rory satisfied

yeh that rotel rc870bx isn't a bad preamp AT. I remember it having a fairly phat toriodial transformer :)

Rory, May 1, 2005
Ask a Question