Pulsar Points

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Carpchaser, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Carpchaser

Carpchaser

Anyone has any experince with these cheeky chappies under cd's ?

Iain.

Carpchaser, Sep 24, 2003
  2. Carpchaser

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Not much point putting CDs on them, try them under a CD player ;)

MartinC, Sep 24, 2003
  3. Carpchaser

The Devil IHTFP

I heard a Nordost dem when the fat chap put them under a Primare CDP. I couldn't hear any change.

The Devil, Sep 24, 2003
  4. Carpchaser

Markus S Trade

I heard a similar dem. I could hear a difference.

A friend has tried them in his system. He liked them under his preamp but not under his CD player, a NAD 5xx something or other.

Markus S, Sep 24, 2003
  5. Carpchaser

The Devil IHTFP

Yes but you are a hifi reviewer and have better hearing than everyone else.

The Devil, Sep 24, 2003
  6. Carpchaser

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i have 4 or these which are sitting idle at the moment, which gives you an idea of how effective i've found them. they were passed on to me by garyi who found them as effective as i with his gear. i'll bring them along on sunday (if i remember) and the first person who asks can have them - on the condition that they promise to pass them on free of charge or postage only if they find them not to their liking.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Sep 24, 2003
  7. Carpchaser

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

They don't do anything, which comes as no suprise to me.

They do however look good, which is why I bought them!

garyi, Sep 24, 2003
  8. Carpchaser

soundzandpower BBQ?

I have some and they definately do something in my system. They make everything sound harsh!

When i initialy put them under my CDP they improved the soundstaging and there seemed to be much more detail. However, a couple of days later and I noticed the extra sharpness and removed them.

I'd be happy to move these on.

S+P

soundzandpower, Sep 24, 2003
  9. Carpchaser

Alex S User

I found them most useful on top of a pair of SoundBases with a piece of chip board on top of them.

Alex S, Sep 24, 2003
  10. Carpchaser

Markus S Trade

Have I been stepping on your toes or what? I didn't mean to say there was a difference to be heard in your dem, and that you were deaf not to hear it, or any such bull. All I said was that in a completely different dem (Frankfurt High End 2001, I believe) to the one you attended, but presented by most probably the same Nordost representative, I could hear a difference. Maybe you would have heard it in my dem. Maybe I wouldn't have heard a difference in your dem. Who knows.

I also said I heard a difference. Whether it was an improvement or not, and whether it was good value for money or not, are completely different matters on which I carefully did not comment. My experience of the Pulsar Points is too limited to make a judgment on them.

Markus S, Sep 25, 2003
  11. Carpchaser

The Devil IHTFP

Sorry Markus it was only a little joke. During the dem, the rotund fellow was 'boogying' away in top-notch comical stylee, with much more pronounced boogying apparant after each set of 'improvements', to illustrate to us how brilliant the 'improvement' was.

That put me off a bit. He used to be a Linn dealer, I think they run dance classes.

The Devil, Sep 25, 2003
  12. Carpchaser

Alex S User

One of my madder moments was to sit through an entire Nordost dem. I concluded that their cable a) looks fetching, b) all sounds the same (ie rather thin, tizzy and fatiguing) until its Â0„52500 per metre whereupon its almost as good as Â0„51.75 pm mic cable. Interestingly, the Tandy Â0„52.50 interconnect would fit neatly into the middle of the Nordost range although its less tizzy.

I have never heard any sonic difference with 3 or 4 configurations of PPs except in 3s between stand mount speakers and their stands where they did sound better than blu-tack. I'm not joking when I say that apparently blu-tac is sonically superior to other tacs.

Alex

Alex S, Sep 25, 2003
  13. Carpchaser

The Devil IHTFP

Yes the Nordost cables certainly look the part. I agree with you about how it sounded - very 'thin' sounding just like its profile.

By the end of my dem (the doors were locked and I was in the front row) the dancing bear had managed to install over £30,000 - 'worth' of NorthEast cabling into a Primare mid-fi system. The result was not very enticing. Plus I hated listening to the same bit of unfamiliar and not particularly good music about eight times.

The Devil, Sep 25, 2003
Ask a Question