Quad ESL 63s

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by dreftar, May 4, 2007.

1. dreftar

dreftar

I got the faulty panel back last night and installed it. Listening for the first time to the ESL 63 was an interesting experience. It is the first "QUIET" speaker system I have ever had! By that I mean that the music has all the dynamics etc at low listening levels. This was a revelation to me, I was so used to cranking up the volume as the music sounded better and more alive at high SPLs, but with the Quad 63s there is no need for high SPLs, the music is all there with gorgeous silences in between. They produce music that makes you sink back in a comfy arm chair and enjoy. It is interesting that I used to think that my aim was to produce a rock concert or a church organ in my living room, even tho' this is impossible. I now aim to have a recorded musical experience within the comfor of my own arm chair.

I listened first to ATomic - Count BAsie. The first track which was recoded in mono was wonderful - the piano was so natural and full of life and expression. Next Cecilia BArtoli - Opera Probita just sublime, I was drawn right into the music and any notion of fiddling with speaker cables or speaker placement went right out of my head as I was absorbed in the musical experience. Next went Damien Rice - O was the only slight disappointment. The music seemed contrived as the engineering of the songs became all too apparent, which was such a shame as I really liked this album. Finally Kelly Joe Phelps - Shine Eyed Mr Zen, just amazing I had to play it right through and got to bed at 0130.

I believe that what the electrostatics do is lull you into a comfort zone, help you relax and involve you entirely with the music.

Yet, I cant wait to play with them to see what improvements can be made, if only I can stop playing the music!!!!

dreftar, May 4, 2007
  2. dreftar

narabdela

Don't bother FFS! Listen to the music. That's what ESLs are all about.

narabdela, May 4, 2007
Ask a Question